Cabinet scrap in Blaze King?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SD Golden

Aug 1, 2018
South Dakota
I hope I'm not beating the dead horse with this topic, but I am able to get a large supply of scrap wood from a local cabinet maker before is painted or stained. I can also get several a month broken pallets from my job. I've read about using these types of wood in stoves and the main concern is they burn hot and fast, potentially over firing. Could I not just turn the Blaze King down enough to prevent this? I've got about a cord of dry seasoned wood, and about a cord of cut dead standing trees (unsure what kind, I'm new at this and can't ID trees), and not quite a cord of other assorted wood cut from various dead falls. If I could supplement 15-20% with this pallet and cabinet wood I thought I could have enough to get through my first burning season. Thanks for the help.

I think as long as there is no treated wood in there, than go for it, woods wood, it all comes from trees

I burn scrap hardwood pieces from my shop whenever I can. I normally use a small amount to build a bed of coals to put my firewood on.

I worked in a cabinet shop for a while to help out a shirt tail relative.

I burned tons of hardwood and softwood scraps.

Just no MDF, OSB, PLY or any laminate coated materials, melamine comes to mind.