Cabin air filters

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
I never remember to change them. Since it’s pollin season I figured it’s time. I pulled mine out and… yup. It was time. Pleats full of dust, stink bugs, you name it. I got one for the wife’s car and it wasn’t that bad. $17 each.

I have yet to change one...pull them out, little bit of nothing on them, tap on bench to dislodge maybe a maple helicopter or two, a dead bug, dandelion fuzzy or two, reinstall...if its still white and only has a few large pieces on it like this, I can't see the benefit of changing it out. And if they aren't getting dirty, they must not accomplish much IMO.
I was surprised when my 2011 work truck started to smell funny with AC on and I thought the filter might be funky (have never changed it) turns out it doesn't have one!

I buy them is two packs. Then I misplace the leftover. Now look up the replacement cost for a Tesla S/X HEPA filter. It’s like a $500 filter. And $150 labor.

• Wow
Reactions: begreen
$10 for the crv. Just had to do it last week as a mouse tried to set up shop on it.

My wife’s wasn’t bad. Mine was horrible. I drive much more than she does though. Holding hers up to the sun I could still see through it.

We clean ours frequently as small country rodents invade our vehicles and nest there.
When possible I have built reusable filters from household HVAC stock since new filters are stupidly expensive.
I have also installed 1/2-in grid hardware cloth over the HVAC inlets in the vehicles' cowl area if I can.

never owned a veh with one and i really do not see the point. Unless you have a 100% sealed house, walk outside with a mask on, and then your veh is 100% sealed your always breathing dust and pollen..

I buy them is two packs. Then I misplace the leftover. Now look up the replacement cost for a Tesla S/X HEPA filter. It’s like a $500 filter. And $150 labor.
$500 ? when amazon has them for about $30.
Just watched the install on youtube for fun. Not that hard to do the replacement.

$500 ? when amazon has them for about $30.
Just watched the install on youtube for fun. Not that hard to do the replacement.
It’s $425 for just the filter. Aftermarket has cheaper ones. But still $$$.

Cabin air filters

Ha yeah Non OEM for the Win.

Ha yeah Non OEM for the Win.
And to be honest it doesn’t NEED true hepa filter but then “bio weapon defense mode” would not function properly;)

Yeah not
And to be honest it doesn’t NEED true hepa filter but then “bio weapon defense mode” would not function properly;)
Yeah maybe no BWDM, but not as bad as "rapid unscheduled disassembly's." in some of the other company products.