bypass loop-what temp to close ball valve?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wtrass

Oct 30, 2011
southern tier NY
I have been running a Vigas 40 with 1000 gallons storage since about March. I did not install a ball valve on the boiler protection loop and plan to bring the system down soon to do so. I do have a caleffi thermal mixing valve set at 140. I can monitor the supply temperature from the boiler and I also have a temp gauge on the return from storage. I guess my question is which temp needs to be at 140 before I shut the valve? The boiler output or the return from storage? thanks

Return from storage. You should keep temp of water entering the bottom of the boiler above that.

But are you sure you need a ball valve? What makes you think you do? The Caleffi should take care of it all.

I am not absolutely sure I need a ball valve but was thinking that would definitely force the water into storage. I suspect there is some plus or minus within the caleffi.

I am not absolutely sure I need a ball valve but was thinking that would definitely force the water into storage. I suspect there is some plus or minus within the caleffi.
=====================================================================================================

Hello neighbor.

You do not need a ball valve If the Caleffi is like my B+G bypass valve you can shut it
off entirely and just let the water in the boiler and your heating loop(s) do all the work.

Too hot, the next week is going to be worse according to the weather folks.
I have been dumping my dehumidifier 3 plus times a day on average to keep
up with the high humidity. in the back room where the coal stoker boiler
(now shut down)is.

No need for a ball valve to make it operate properly. It is nice to have a valve on all three ports if ever you need to clean or service the valve. It may save a drain down of the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.