Buying Home - Inspection Concern with Vent Termination

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

lions12

Dec 31, 2018
Pennsylvania, USA
We are in the process of buying a home (2004) and recently completed a full house inspection. The inspector expressed some concerns with the master bedroom fireplace (dual sided in bath/bedroom).

I only have limited details and don't have access for specific measurements, but wanted to get some expert opinions if this is a significant issue or if it can be resolved by possibly simply modifying the vent.

Majestic 360DVS2RN

"The vent termination for the master bedroom fireplace does not appear to meet the required distance from the inside corner of the house. At least 6 inches of clearance is required between the vent cap and the vinyl siding. Heat from the vent cap may cause damage to the siding if it is installed too close (There is no visible damage to the siding at present, but the current homeowner indicated that this fireplace is rarely tuned on). This should be evaluated by a heating technician or fireplace contractor. The installation manual for the vent termination for this fireplace can be found at the following website."​

At this point, we have no evidence that this is an issue, only what the inspector posted (above) in his report.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

It looks like it very well could have 6” to the cap.

Yes, sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum...this is a natural gas fireplace.

Webby: Yes, it could possibly extend 6" out, I'm only basing it on the inspector's concern. Any concerns with the siding to the left of the vent or does the majority of the heat get forced straight out?

Yes, sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum...this is a natural gas fireplace.

Webby: Yes, it could possibly extend 6" out, I'm only basing it on the inspector's concern. Any concerns with the siding to the left of the vent or does the majority of the heat get forced straight out?
Most of the heat goes straight up. Each manufacturer has their own restrictions on clearances. It doesn’t look like it has a vinyl siding shield on it, and it’s installed on top of the vinyl, very uncraftsman like, but not necessarily unsafe. The area of concern isn’t the projection from the wall, it’s the clearance to the side wall.

Most of the heat goes straight up. Each manufacturer has their own restrictions on clearances. It doesn’t look like it has a vinyl siding shield on it, and it’s installed on top of the vinyl, very uncraftsman like, but not necessarily unsafe. The area of concern isn’t the projection from the wall, it’s the clearance to the side wall.

Thanks for clarifying! In your opinion is this something that can be fixed (semi-easily) or do I need to account for a significant repair when I go back to the sellers? What options do I have for the side with what appears to be a tight clearance? Do I need to extend the vent out, or add some type of protective shielding on the side?

Thanks for clarifying! In your opinion is this something that can be fixed (semi-easily) or do I need to account for a significant repair when I go back to the sellers? What options do I have for the side with what appears to be a tight clearance? Do I need to extend the vent out, or add some type of protective shielding on the side?
If it doesn’t have the proper clearance, then relocating the vent is your only option. That may not be possible either without pretty major work inside.