Buying fisher stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bmcalexander

Nov 17, 2019
Virginia
Thinking about buying a fisher stove to heat my home with. Found a mama bear local to me, they are hard to find in my area and normal asking price is $700 . They are asking $500 for this one. What condition would y’all say it’s in. Most of them I’ve seen have been repainted, I’m not concerned about appearance when buying because I can do that myself.

Attachments

• CE2E9FB4-9F50-4E96-92A7-37D771CC135B.jpeg
    CE2E9FB4-9F50-4E96-92A7-37D771CC135B.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 271
  • 5E597365-64B8-4A52-8643-E5A4E47D5F9B.jpeg
    5E597365-64B8-4A52-8643-E5A4E47D5F9B.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 273
  • FA7D1761-DBC8-4A86-969C-D8EA7BE102C3.jpeg
    FA7D1761-DBC8-4A86-969C-D8EA7BE102C3.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 274
  • 3DBAC487-7950-4B54-8200-2758DD725ECD.jpeg
    3DBAC487-7950-4B54-8200-2758DD725ECD.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 261
  • 8F259F79-E6A3-4039-ACF4-2B972BF3E3CB.jpeg
    8F259F79-E6A3-4039-ACF4-2B972BF3E3CB.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 250
That is at best a $250 stove. For $500 you should be able to get something decent used with a secondary combustion system.

Ok I haven’t started negotiating price yet. Do you think that white on it is from overheating? What’s makes the value low?
Yes the white shows it has been run hard. But the value is low because it is just an old Fisher. There are tons of them around and while they were good for their day they are just old inefficient steel stoves. If they are going for that much in your area get an Alaska or an all nighter or something similar that will work just the same. Many of them even have baffles already

Welcome to the forum!

It would be a $250-300 stove in NY. That's the Papa Bear model. It would need a baffle plate installed (easy to do) to increase it's efficiency.

There are many people who heat our homes with these "old, outdated, inefficient" Fisher stoves, and I'm one of them. I personally love my Fisher stove and wouldn't trade it for anything. Opinions on wood stoves varies greatly, and the only opinion that matters is your own.

A lot of sellers have no idea what they are selling, so they price their stoves according to the high priced stoves on the internet. If the seller won't budge on his price, keep looking elsewhere.

What size house are you trying to heat?

If you are putting the stove in a house that needs insurance, its highly likely you need a third party certification tag on the back. Many insurance companies will not insure a non listed stove.

Last edited:
Peakbagger brings up a good point, you should contact your insurance company and ask them if they would insure your home with a non EPA and/or an unlisted (UL) stove.

Welcome to the forum!

It would be a $250-300 stove in NY. That's the Papa Bear model. It would need a baffle plate installed (easy to do) to increase it's efficiency.

There are many people who heat our homes with these "old, outdated, inefficient" Fisher stoves, and I'm one of them. I personally love my Fisher stove and wouldn't trade it for anything. Opinions on wood stoves varies greatly, and the only opinion that matters is your own.

A lot of sellers have no idea what they are selling, so they price their stoves according to the high priced stoves on the internet. If the seller won't budge on his price, keep looking elsewhere.

What size house are you trying to heat?
I am not saying they shouldn't get a Fisher stove if that is what they want. I am saying they shouldn't pay that much for one. And don't delude your self these stoves are outdated and innefficent. Yes of course you can still hear your house with one. But that doesn't mean they are efficient

Last edited:
Things I look at when I buy a Fisher (in order of importance):

1. UL label (if required in your area)
2. Doors cracks (generally can't be fixed)
3. Bent steel, cracks in the stove body (can be fixed but can get expensive, greatly effects the value)
4. Rust through bottom, under firebricks. (can also be fixed but greatly effects the value)
5. Hinges sloppy, door not opening/closing properly. New hinge pins are easy but if the pin holes are worn that's harder to fix.
6. Draft knobs working or at least look like you can free them up without major surgery.
7. Heavy rust and pitting.
8. Broken firebricks. Easily replaced but expect to pay $2 each so that adds up.
9. Needs paint. 3 cans of stove paint will cost about $40.

I have no problem selling Mama and Papa stoves in my area for $500 restored.

Fisher Stoves are great wood stoves. My wife and I have one at our home (Fisher Grandma Bear). We have a smaller home, so it heats up our home very quickly.

With the amount of stoves that are out there, take a look at the more efficient wood stoves that are on the market. Most today are so efficient that they actually burn the smoke and produce less pollutants and can use at least 1/3 less firewood. Of course, your firewood moisture content must be at least 18% moisture for the new wood stoves to work properly.

Reactions: bholler
Things I look at when I buy a Fisher (in order of importance):

1. UL label (if required in your area)
2. Doors cracks (generally can't be fixed)
3. Bent steel, cracks in the stove body (can be fixed but can get expensive, greatly effects the value)
4. Rust through bottom, under firebricks. (can also be fixed but greatly effects the value)
5. Hinges sloppy, door not opening/closing properly. New hinge pins are easy but if the pin holes are worn that's harder to fix.
6. Draft knobs working or at least look like you can free them up without major surgery.
7. Heavy rust and pitting.
8. Broken firebricks. Easily replaced but expect to pay $2 each so that adds up.
9. Needs paint. 3 cans of stove paint will cost about $40.

I have no problem selling Mama and Papa stoves in my area for $500 restored.
Yes 500 cleaned up painted and all new firebrick is reasonable. Which means one in that condition should be 200 to 250

Thinking about buying a fisher stove to heat my home with. Found a mama bear local to me, they are hard to find in my area and normal asking price is $700 . They are asking $500 for this one. What condition would y’all say it’s in. Most of them I’ve seen have been repainted, I’m not concerned about appearance when buying because I can do that myself.

Four factors make the decision for you.
1) What kind and size chimney do you have?
2) What is the pipe configuration for existing, or new chimney? Side vent is for a hearth mounted stove, rear vent for through the wall, top vent for straight up. Buy the stove to fit the installation instead of making the installation fit the stove.
3) What fuel do you have or will you be using?
4) Is code compliance an issue for your installation and use?

With those factors known, you can further decide if fire viewing is important, cook top space, pedestal style for less floor protection........

That is a Papa Bear designed for heating up to 2000 sf. in Seattle Washington. Do you need that much heat? Size the stove to the area, and chimney, and you will be happy with most any stove. It's more about the chimney, fuel and operator than the stove.

Last edited:
Reactions: bholler