Burning time on a Regency

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

albrown60

Jan 27, 2019
st-lazare, Quebec , Canada
Hi, I have been running my Regency i2400 insert for about 8 years now. My wood is mainly sugar maple with around 22% humidity. No problem bringing the temp of the stove to 500 / 600 F. I close the flu leaving about one inch of opening. I find that with time , my insert is losing efficiency concerning burning time. I am getting about 4.5 hours of good heat but have to reload after 5 hrs. Anybody experiencing the same burning time with a Regency medium insert. The specs say 8 hours, there no way I ever got that kind of burning time.

Hi, I have been running my Regency i2400 insert for about 8 years now. My wood is mainly sugar maple with around 22% humidity. No problem bringing the temp of the stove to 500 / 600 F. I close the flu leaving about one inch of opening. I find that with time , my insert is losing efficiency concerning burning time. I am getting about 4.5 hours of good heat but have to reload after 5 hrs. Anybody experiencing the same burning time with a Regency medium insert. The specs say 8 hours, there no way I ever got that kind of burning time.
Get your wood dryer and close the air more. Can you describe your install a bit?

Get your wood dryer and close the air more. Can you describe your install a bit?
My insert was installed by a professional with a liner of 15 feets. The living space on the first floor is about 900 s.f. and I want to maintain the temperature to about 72 F. The Regency is on duty 24/24 and 7/7. My electric heat pump is hardly in use. It is a mild winter this year, I am using less wood but for some reason, my burning time is less than the previous years. I was lucky in those years to get beech trees that I splitted and dry for 2 years. No more , now I am on Maple. My wood range from 18 to 22% humidity. I am questioning if my unit would be losing air from a small crack . I checked every year the flu connection and the general condition and everything looks normal.
The question is it is normal to get in perfect conditions only 5 hours maximum burning time out of a Regency i2400 medium insert ?? My burning box is 2.3 s.f.

I've got the same stove and, here on Vancouver Island, I only burn softwood. My burn times are six to eight hours and with perfect conditions I can get a relight in the morning after ten hours.

I just changed my door gasket this summer after 12 years of use and it extended my burn times quite a bit.

When you are checking moisture it should be on the inside of a fresh split and the wood should be at room temperature. I burned a few loads of wet wood (bubbles coming out the end) early in the season and it did not provide nearly as much heat energy as dry wood.

I've got the same stove and, here on Vancouver Island, I only burn softwood. My burn times are six to eight hours and with perfect conditions I can get a relight in the morning after ten hours.

I just changed my door gasket this summer after 12 years of use and it extended my burn times quite a bit.

When you are checking moisture it should be on the inside of a fresh split and the wood should be at room temperature. I burned a few loads of wet wood (bubbles coming out the end) early in the season and it did not provide nearly as much heat energy as dry wood.
Do you close the flu completely ?? To get a relight after 10 hrs is pretty good. I don't know where to look at. My gaskets are new from this summer, my wood humidity is taken from the inside split at room temperature, my pipe is cleaned every fall. Mysterious !!!

Try the dollar bill test on the new door gasket and check the glass gasket. Perhaps?

Try the dollar bill test on the new door gasket and check the glass gasket. Perhaps?
I did try this and thigh fit. I adjust my door handle for thighness every second day. I am going try to burn with the flu open by 1/4 inch and see if there is a change.

Soft maple does burn a little quicker / hotter then beech or oak perhaps your just seeing the difference in wood types. Do you have a lot of coals when its time to reload? Thats an indication of incomplete combustion any trying to extract as much heat as possible the fastest way possible.

Soft maple does burn a little quicker / hotter then beech or oak perhaps your just seeing the difference in wood types. Do you have a lot of coals when its time to reload? Thats an indication of incomplete combustion any trying to extract as much heat as possible the fastest way possible.
I have coals at the end of the burning cycle and I open the flu at half to burn as much as possible before reloading. It takes about one hour to burn most of the coals but I don't wait for them to turn in ashes, I reload on a bed of coals.

I did try this and thigh fit. I adjust my door handle for thighness every second day. I am going try to burn with the flu open by 1/4 inch and see if there is a change.
Why are you adjusting the door so much. I typically only have to adjust them every 2 to 3 years. Try closing it all the way. That is how I always ran my regency.

Do you have an insulated blockoff plate and insulated liner?

Why are you adjusting the door so much. I typically only have to adjust them every 2 to 3 years. Try closing it all the way. That is how I always ran my regency.

Do you have an insulated blockoff plate and insulated liner?
Yes, I do have both.