Burning Season Is Right Around the Corner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

30WCF

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 31, 2016
North Carolina
So, August always seems to get me headed in the direction of making sure I swept the chimney, prepare the porch for wood to be brought up, checking scopes and getting ready anything that fall brings.
I know, it’s early, but I could have a fire mid September, it might be late October until it gets cool enough here. Ya just never know about N.C.

What are you guys doing to get ready, or am
I the only one that nutty enough to think August should be a Fall Season month.

Last week I added a roof brace.

I need to do a good sweeping and I’m thinking of adding 12-18” to my chimney height, but 36” is the best value for the money.
The picture I took when I added the brace has me wanting to go measure for the 2/10 rule. I did the stove and pipe install. I know I did it right, but I must have only cleared it by 1/4”. I had new shingles put on and maybe the ridge vent they added has pushed me over the edge?? 👀

Burning Season Is Right Around the CornerBurning Season Is Right Around the Corner

I have a pile to stack when it cools a bit more. (Not for this years fires.)

Burning Season Is Right Around the Corner

Ive got a few things to do, but I could clean the chimney and burn a fire tomorrow if a front blew in. Fingers crossed one does.

I think the latest we went into fall without burning was September 25 but I'll check the chimney and then clean if needed before the end of August. I'll also put a new door gasket on this year.

They say this fall will be warmer than usual in our area so if we don't start burning until October, that's fine with me. I guess another thing I'll do pretty soon is check my covers, hopefully none came off.

Reactions: 30WCF
I am finally making a point to insulate my liner, just purchased all the materials, they are on the shop bench ready to go. Maybe next weekend or the following weekend. Hope I notice a difference. That, and a couple cord of wood to move into the shed. It was 95 degrees here today so I am not in panic mode