Burning redwood deck wood...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Amin1992

Feeling the Heat
Oct 9, 2019
PA, USA
This might be completely dumb to ask but I figured why not.

We are repairing a 45 year old deck made of redwood. The 4x4 redwood posts are being replaced with new 6x6 posts and I hate to see the old 4x4s go to waste.

They're too old and splintered to become anything nice but I wondered if I could burn them in my wood stove?

Does redwood burn well? Would old posts like this be safe in a stove? I don't think redwood is treated with any chemicals...

Thanks for the tip!

Redwood will burn hot and relatively fast. I would use it to start fires. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Awesome. Maybe I'll make a ton of kindling out of it then. Thanks!

... or at least down wind from your vent pipe. Now concerning the neighbors, that could be a crapshoot.

Why not? I know it's toxic and all but I mean, if I did it just for kindling here and there?

Doesn't appear to be treated at all but who knows..

I have never seen treated redwood. It is naturally weather and pest resistant.

Reactions: Bad LP
Kindling. Great for restarting some morning wood.

When I was 20 years younger, I'd have morning wood. Now, my fire is mostly out in the morning. Come to think about it, it's out most times.... :) Tough getting old. You young'ins have that to look forward to.............

Reactions: marty319
When I was 20 years younger, I'd have morning wood. Now, my fire is mostly out in the morning. Come to think about it, it's out most times.... :) Tough getting old. You young'ins have that to look forward to.............
Glad you found my humor.