Bullard, super thick baffle?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DaveNY49

Jun 3, 2024
New York
Just bought a used Bullard stove. Double door. Notice not only is the baffle not removable but it’s THICK! Probably 2 inches. It’s actually nice and straight. But made me curious if anyone else has a stove like this and why they would make the baffle so thick? I knocked on it and it sounds hollow. It does come with a blower. Made me wonder if the thick hollow baffle works somehow with the blower? As in maybe air travels through it? It also seems to be much higher than other baffles, about 2 inches below the pipe hole. I can share pics if needed

Any input?

The baffle may not be stock. I don't recall the older models having a baffle. Can you post some pictures of it?

The manual for older Bullards is here:

I just realized the baffle is thick because it’s hollow because the vents on the outside are to blow the hot air from inside the baffle out.

The baffle may not be stock. I don't recall the older models having a baffle. Can you post some pictures of it?

The manual for older Bullards is here:

Bullard, super thick baffle?

That looks pretty stout. Is it permanent and welded in? Could be a heat exchanger tube.