Bugs coming out of my wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Doublebogey

Burning Hunk
This morning I walked back to my processing area and found that there had been a coming out party over the weekend. This was out of a large hickory trunk. Anyone know what it might be?

First thought was antibiotics.

Sawdust

;-0

Just split and stack it. It dries faster and the fraction of wood that's gone is not significant enough. Moreover, the bugs are already near your house (hence they're in the tree), so no added danger.

I've gotten that too. Not sure which bug does this, Powder post beetles maybe?

That’s exactly what I had last year except yours is on a minor scale my buddy suggested I make sawdust compressed logs out the sawdust I had ,you know for spite ,I had a half cord in a single row 8 inches off the ground and the sawdust was touching the boards the wood was on , I had to take my gas blower wearing a mask blow the dust away and then hand sweep every piece coming into the house real PITA but beat throwing it over the hill, which I contemplated seriously,LOL

That's one reason I don't mess with hickory. Stack up hickory in your woodpile and in a month it is covered with that fine powdery sawdust. Blow it all off with the leaf blower and in a month it will be back.
I don't want those bugs in my house.

Reactions: Dfw245
That's one reason I don't mess with hickory. Stack up hickory in your woodpile and in a month it is covered with that fine powdery sawdust. Blow it all off with the leaf blower and in a month it will be back.
Dry your wood out and they wont be there when you bring it in.

Reactions: kborndale
It's not near my house. I process wood in a pole barn on the back of our commercial property. This wood came from my buddy that owns a tree service. My stacks are mostly outdoors but I top cover with metal decking . Hopefully it stays dry enough.

It's not near my house. I process wood in a pole barn on the back of our commercial property. This wood came from my buddy that owns a tree service. My stacks are mostly outdoors but I top cover with metal decking . Hopefully it stays dry enough.
Should do fine especially since you are taking the time to top cover. I had similar dust and was nervous so I split up a few pieces before bringing them in the house, wood was 17% and not a critter in sight.

You and me both. Borers. They do the same thing to Mesquite, and pecan. Pecan and Hickory are the worst tho, considering they come from the same family. They are more of an annoyance than anything. Or if you have an irrational disdain or fear of them, it can cause more than an annoyance. Best bet is either cover them with a solar kiln? or just dont grab hickory or pecan unless you plan to leave it far enough away from your house for a good year and a half