Buck Stove History Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
I have been reading some posts regarding Buck stoves and they seem pretty good - especially for the cat model 91. The 91 looks like a suitable competitor for the Blaze King - King model stove.

I remember that back in the late 70's I had a couple of relatives that had Buck stove inserts in their fireplaces. They burned a lot of wood in these stoves and to my knowledge, never had a problem.

Sometime in the mid 80's, my Dad bought an Englander wood stove and it seemed that when us boys asked him about why he didn't get a Buck stove he (could have been someone else) said Buck went bankrupt and was out of business. So I was pleasantly surprised to see and read Buck stove is alive and well.

My relatives were near Asheville NC and I read that Asheville is where the Buck stove got it's start and are still made in North Carolina.

My question is - did Buck stove ever go bankrupt, out of business, get in some kind of trouble that caused a sale? Reason I ask is from what I think I remember my Dad talking about and on Buck stove's web site, the company name is New Buck Corporation.

Just courious.

Thanks!
Bill

I remember something about the original company filing for bankruptcy back around 1990 but no details. Maybe Craig remembers.

Whether they did or not, Ill stand by them. Parts are never a problem, quality is top notch American, and the dealer and I have a good relationship even though I bought second.

Loco Gringo said:
Whether they did or not, Ill stand by them. Parts are never a problem, quality is top notch American, and the dealer and I have a good relationship even though I bought second.

I completely agree. I think they are a good quality stove too and based on the ones my relatives had and the stuff I have read here, I'd definately recommend them. It's good to know Buck stoves are alive and well - sort of like seeing an old friend again from my past.

Bill

You are Buck history tfd!

The buck stove plant is about 20min from me. I know they expanded and moved to a bigger building in sprucepine nc which is about 10min from where they was. I will ask around. I work with several people that live in that community. Stay on me i may forget. They have been a good employer around her for many years.

Status
Not open for further replies.