Buck 27000 damper problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ronda

Nov 12, 2019
Virginia
The damper just broke this evening . Can it be replaced and how difficult of a job is this? Thanks for any help. I am not sure it's something I can do but if it can be fixed I might be able to find someone to do it for me. Thanks again for any help. The damper handle broke off from the plate inside I can't pull it open or push it shut .. Thanks

Last edited:
Welcome Ronda. Do you mean the bypass damper? Is it stuck in the closed or open position?

Welcome Ronda. Do you mean the bypass damper? Is it stuck in the closed or open position?
The damper in the stove under the top , yes I guess it's the bypass damper . My stove is an insert it is the only damper I use to control the stove. No damper on the chimney. The damper is open without the handle I can't control the damper I am assuming it's rusted off. It's been in the insert since 1979 .
The handle broke off this part of my stove

Last edited:
It's going to take someone at the house to look at the damper control rod attachment to the baffle. It could be rusted off or just worn out. The hardest part maybe finding parts to fix, but if it is just a pin that has fallen or rusted out, that may be a simple repair.

Reactions: Ronda
It's going to take someone at the house to look at the damper control rod attachment to the baffle. It could be rusted off or just worn out. The hardest part maybe finding parts to fix, but if it is just a pin that has fallen or rusted out, that may be a simple repair.
Thank you , I will have to get someone to check it for me . One more thing , is it accessible inside the stove or through the top ?

I think on that stove it is from the inside, but don't quote me on it.