Brownout!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Just had lights all dim about 50%.

Time to turn off everything I can for a bit! And that’s why I keep a lamp with kerosene in it!

Brownout!

I’m at the cabin. The entire thing is 500 square feet. 5 steps and I had the lamp. 2 side steps and I had the matches. lol.

Was the brownout just a few minutes?

Never even heard of a brown out, I'm surprised you don't have solar at the cabin??

Never even heard of a brown out, I'm surprised you don't have solar at the cabin??
Up here we might have the lights dim or go out for a few seconds, they call that a brownout here.

I don’t know how long it lasted. I turned off the lights and fans, and chilled a bit, lol. About an hour and a half later I turned everything back on and it was normal.

Looking down the lake, I think most people did the same. There were a few lights on, but it was really dark. Most of those lights could have been those little solar lights.

Solar wouldn’t be a good choice for me. I’m on a budget plan that levels out my bill to less than $30/month. Every appliance gets unplugged except for the refrigerator when we’re not here. In winter, that gets unplugged too.