broken vermiculite baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

enordy

Hearth Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Western CT
Swept the chimney today - while removing the 4 secondary tubes I over-rotated one of the tubes and the vermiculite baffle broke in half. Stupid move on my part.

Opinions - ok to run the stove with a broken baffle? Clean break, it basically rests on top of the tubes -

Drolet has them on their site for $50.00, it just irritates the the snot out of me that I broke it -

A crack, no problem. A hole bigger problem.

Heck, many stoves use two boards sort of close together so an intentional crack.

Bummer, vermiculite baffles are fragile. You could try pinning it together with some stove cement. Let that set up and then ginergly put back in place. Still, I would order a new one for next season.

Now would be your chance to upgrade to the C-Cast baffle. Osburn Part # 21521, except these are more expensive, $115, but will last longer and are not as fragile.

Reactions: begreen
Fair enough and thanks - so what's the difference between c-cast and vermiculite? Just curious -

Now would be your chance to upgrade to the C-Cast baffle. Osburn Part # 21521, except these are more expensive, $115, but will last longer and are not as fragile.
Good tip. I was looking for an equivalent firebox. The c-cast baffle will be more expensive, but it's made from a tougher lightweight ceramic. It's what SBI uses on their better stoves.

Thanks for the links - Anyone with experience cutting the c-cast product? I see the mfr. (Lynn) has it in myriad sizes - curious if its worth buying a larger piece for the inevitable need down the road, or a less expensive piece and just cutting it to size -

By my understanding Lynn makes Superwool, which is a different product than C-Cast. However from what I can find Superwool is supposed to have slightly better insulating properties.

If it's anything like C-Cast you should be able to cut it with a sharp utility knife or hacksaw blade. By the looks of it Lynn also makes baffle boards already cut to replace most standard stove baffle boards.

I like the idea of getting a 5'x4'x1" roll and cutting to size to replace the broken vermiculite - keep the leftovers for future use or beef up the insulation above the damper plate.

One question is if the baffle/stove performance would be different because its a non-rigid material....

I’m watching the thread because the fragile oem baffle boards. Non c-cast I guess? For my Englander are getting worn after 8 years of abuse.

I like the idea of getting a 5'x4'x1" roll and cutting to size to replace the broken vermiculite - keep the leftovers for future use or beef up the insulation above the damper plate.

One question is if the baffle/stove performance would be different because its a non-rigid material....

That's not the same stuff, and that's definitely not what you want. You need to have a hard board to go back in. There is a Superwool variety of the hardboard.

The hardboard variety of Superwool is almost the same price as buying the C-Cast baffle from SBI (at least for me in Canada), for that reason I'd likely go C-Cast and not have to worry about cutting it. Unless I could get the precut Superwool baffle direct from Lynn, then I'd probably try that out.

I’m watching the thread because the fragile oem baffle boards. Non c-cast I guess? For my Englander are getting worn after 8 years of abuse.
Is it 8 years already!? And still on the original baffle? That's great. You've done well.

By my understanding Lynn makes Superwool, which is a different product than C-Cast. However from what I can find Superwool is supposed to have slightly better insulating properties.

If it's anything like C-Cast you should be able to cut it with a sharp utility knife or hacksaw blade. By the looks of it Lynn also makes baffle boards already cut to replace most standard stove baffle boards.

So I did find the Osburn #21521 c-cast online for about $99 all-in vs. $130 from Osburn with shipping.

A slightly oversized Lynn board (would need to trim it a bit) on Amazon is only $56, but according to the description its been "rigidized for added durability". Makes my spider-sense tingle, especially cutting the edge and exposing the superwool -

C-cast it is.

Reactions: ABMax24
Is it 8 years already!? And still on the original baffle? That's great. You've done well.

Seems like just yesterday, the stove is a 2013 and the boards are hunched up a bit in the middle with some scratches but no cracks. I really think these noncats are pretty maintenance free if you can avoid physically abusing them or burning driftwood!

Reactions: begreen
Fair enough and thanks - so what's the difference between c-cast and vermiculite? Just curious -
I had two or three break, just from the thermal expansion, so don't worry that it was your fault.

They all broke while under warranty. SBI just wanted a picture or two, and they sent new ones, no charge.

Finally, when the last one broke, I asked them for a c-cast. They sent one that was a little too big, north-south. So I fretted about cutting it, and ultimately used a serrated bread knife. It cut like stale bread.

The c-cast is far superior to vermiculite, for durability. I'd find one on ebay that's the right size, and put broken baffles behind you, even if it costs more up front.

Reactions: JimBear
I had two or three break, just from the thermal expansion, so don't worry that it was your fault.

They all broke while under warranty. SBI just wanted a picture or two, and they sent new ones, no charge.

Finally, when the last one broke, I asked them for a c-cast. They sent one that was a little too big, north-south. So I fretted about cutting it, and ultimately used a serrated bread knife. It cut like stale bread.

The c-cast is far superior to vermiculite, for durability. I'd find one on ebay that's the right size, and put broken baffles behind you, even if it costs more up front.
I think that's the way to go - much rather get quality over quantity and eliminate a bi-annual facepalm moment when it inevitably breaks again -