Broken door hinge :(

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Davefrom805

Jan 2, 2017
Buellton, CA
A couple of years ago my wife and I bought our first home. Right away I was excited about the wood stove what Im pretty sure is a Vermont Castings Intrepid 1302 (no cat). Since then I have been getting better and better at using this thing, but today, the door hinge cracked a piece off. The door came loose, however I was able to push the pin back in enough to hold it together as I had already started a fire. The hinge broke long before the stove was hot so I suspect it had been weeken somehow.

Im at a loss on how to fix this thing. From my searches, it sounds like adhesives are not the best thing. I do not weld, however I do have some friends who weld. Looks to me like the front is attached to the entire unit, im guessing replacing the front by itself isnt possbile.

Ive attached a picture with the damage and would appreciate input.

Attachments

• Broken door hinge :(
    IMG_4464.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 857
Looks like all cast iron. Not easy for a welder. VCs don't get a lot of love around here, the modern VC stoves are awful but yours might be old enough to be from the good old days.

Consider the cost of a new stove compared to the cost of repairs with this one. Is it worth fixing?

Well, at least it's a top loader. That is going to be tough to repair permanently without replacing the front of the stove. One option might be to put a steel retaining strap across the pin area. This would take drilling and tapping for small screws on both sides to hold down the strap.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I am just a self-taught farm welder, but with my old arc welder I have used the special rods for "cast iron" to successfully repair various cast parts. I think someone could weld the piece back on. Might not look great, but after some artful grinding maybe okay for you.

Reactions: Woody Stover
The parts diagram shows the pieces that make up the stove.
Broken door hinge :(