Brick Surround temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

schultzp85

Sep 15, 2018
Libertyville, il
Hi All, I have been wood burning for a few years with a free-standing wood burner in a different room in our house. This year, we added an insert into our old fireplace. A Hearthstone GMi 70. I have only had a few smaller burns trying to get the wood burner broken in. Last night was the first real, overnight fire I had in it. I noticed that the temperature of the bricks and the wall above the insert were very warm, I could hold my hand to them and used a cooking thermostat to get a temp around 140 ish was the hottest I found. I inserted a flex liner down the old flew so everything is brand new. I did have to cut out the back and some of the sides of the old heatilator to get the insert to fit. I was just wondering if that's normal to get a warm-up of the surrounding (mainly directly above it). There was no smell of anything burning, just the warmth of it. The front of the unit itself was around 250.

Thanks

Brick Surround temp