Brick clearance question?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thunderhead

Burning Hunk
Oct 18, 2019
Seattle - Eastside Foothills
So we just bought a house with a medium sized brick hearth, and it looks like a decent sized stove will fit... barely. This brick on the wall is not air gapped. There are combustibles behind it, studs, drywall, etc. I'm pretty sure when calculating clearance, I do not count this brick for either good or bad... measuring to the combustible behind it as if this brick is not there. IE a stove with 7 inches of clearance would, if the brick is 4 inches wide, need to placed 3 inches from the brick? Is this correct?

Also, how comfortable are you installing to exactly the manufactures minimum clearance? Should I pad those a numbers a little for extra safety, or is the manufacturers numbers so solid additional padding is excessively conservative?

Thanks!

-Matt

You are correct, the clearance is measured to the nearest combustible. I would be comfortable with the tested minimum clearance, especially if the stove has a rear heat shield standard. The brick does have some insulating value ( R=.8) so that is a little added insurance.

What stove is this going to be for?

You are correct, the clearance is measured to the nearest combustible. I would be comfortable with the tested minimum clearance, especially if the stove has a rear heat shield standard. The brick does have some insulating value ( R=.8) so that is a little added insurance.

What stove is this going to be for?

Thanks! We haven't picked out a stove yet, but I have a list of low clearance options ive been making. Perhaps a Pacific Energy Super LE or a Napoleon 1450... they seem to be gravitating towards the top of my list. Part of that will be determined by which local installers stock which/for what prices...