Breckwell Remote "Thermostat" Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainless

Oct 7, 2014
Maryland
I have a Breckwell Classic Cast P4000 - got it installed two years ago and love it. I've always used the control panel on the back of the stove to turn the unit on/off via the "manual" mode. I've been wanting to connect it up to a remote switch to turn the unit on/off, and at the same time, activate the furnace fan on a low setting to circulate the air throughout the house. So basically what I have now is a switch that is connected to a DPDT relay that one side of the relay turns on the furnace fan, the other side of the relay turns on the pellet stove. To accomplish that, just connected that up to the "thermostat" terminals on the control board and set the mode switch to "on/off". According to the manual, the "on/off" setting is for using a remote thermostat.

Now here is my problem... The pellet stove turns on just fine with the remote switch, but doesn't seem to want to turn off. When I turn the remote switch to the off position, the unit continues to feed pellets, and does not go into that cool down mode. I have to press the power button on the back of the stove to shut it down. I've verified the relay is good with a DMM. And the manual is very vague on using a remote thermostat. Is there a built in delay when using a remote thermostat on this unit? Any other thoughts on why the unit is not shutting down with the remote switch?

I don't have your model stove but mine behaves similar to how you are describing.

When using an external thermostat my stove goes into a very low burn state when not calling for heat. If it doesn't call for heat after an hour, it shuts down completely until the thermostat calls for heat again at which point it starts up again.

Maybe your stove does something similar.

My stove has three selections:
On/off - for using a thermostat, according to the manual should just turn the unit on and off with room temperature
Hi/low - for using a thermostat, unit has to be manually turned on, when the thermostat calls for heat stove goes to a high output setting, when no call for heat stove goes to a low output setting
Manual - no thermostat, just turn the unit on and off at the control panel and select your heat setting

I tried to use the switch on the "on/off" setting with no luck. Sounds like your unit uses a combination of the on/off and hi/low setting. Just seems kind of weird for it to keep running so long after no call for heat. I did see a set of jumpers on the control board, but again, the manual is not very helpful and I have no idea what the jumpers are for. Maybe I need to change the jumper setting to make use of a thermostat? Don't want to change anything without knowing what I am doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.