Breckwell P32I Auger Removal - Auger Jam

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepcollector

Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2008
Northern California
I have an auger jam and am trying to clear it. I have searched and searched and found the following instructions on how to remove the auger from a Breckwell:

REMOVE ALL PELLETS OUT OF THE HOPPER

PUSH THE MANUALY FEED TO THE PELLETS OUT OF THE AUGER TUBE

Unlpug the stove
Pull the auger motor off

Remove the two bolts that hold the auger on to the endplate and remove the auger

Inspect the flights they had some in the past that were not welded very good

Check the Bushing at the bottom

1. I removed all the pellets from the hopper. I also took a shop vac and cleaned out all pellets that I could not reach.
2. Can't manual feed, still jammed.
3. Stove is unplugged.
4. Auger motor is off.
5. Bolts are removed that hold the auger.
Problem: I am having a difficult time pulling the auger down and out. It isn't moving after removing the bolts. Any tips before I break something?

Thanks in advance.

Call me or we will be typing all night.

Eric
330-876-0200

Drop the auger is held by two bolts. Unjamming justs takes patients by hand and pushing the automatic feed. Be patient.

I removed the auger bushing with a 1 inch socket. I then pulled off the circular plate on the back and was able to pull the auger down and out of the back of the stove. Everything has been cleaned out. The auger looks to be in good shape. If I put the bushing on the auger (outside of the stove), there is a small amount of play.

When I reinstall the auger and bushing, I can turn the auger by hand but it gets tight in one spot. However, I am able to turn it all the way. If I put the motor on, it still turns. Once I add pellets to the stove, it gets stuck. The fact that when I turn it by hand with no motor attached and there is spot with resistance concerns me. Any thoughts on what to do next?

Hmmmm

Is the auger bent? If you take it out again put it on a good table and roll it if there is a bend in it it might bind. Just a thought.

Eric

I got the stove to a point where the auger runs fine without any pellets in it. Once I add pellets it will run for 30 - 90 min before a pellet gets jammed between the auger and the top auger cover. I can remove the pellet by hand, sometimes it is a large pellet, sometimes small so I suspect the issue is not my pellets plus these are the same pellets that I have been using for the last year.

I am wondering if either the auger motor should be strong enough to crush or chop these pellets when they get into this position or if the pellets should not be in this position in the first place? In other words, do I have an auger alignment problem or an auger motor problem?

Thanks again!

I found this today on the internet.

"When a pellet is too large to be received by the auger it will crunch the pellet at the bottom opening."

Rather than crunching the pellet, my stove just jams. I am thinking that I will need to replace the motor. Does anyone agree or disagree?

Thanks

I removed the auger motor from the pellet stove and opened the gear box. There is a large gear with the shaft that attaches to the auger. If I hold the large gear with one hand, I am able to spin the shaft with the other hand. To replace this, do I need to buy a new auger motor and if so where should I get it?

This is what is printed on the motor:

ECM 5885 11/91 120V
60 HZ 4 PRM 1.65 AMP
THERMALLY PROTECTED
MOD 748-2

Thanks!

I was able to pull up on the shaft and it locked into place on the large gear. I put everything together and have been running for 3 hours 50 minutes. It looks like after removing and installing the motor several times that I had knocked something loose. It looks like I have solved the problem now or at least I hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.