break in fire ?'s

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

devinsdad

Hearth Supporter
Sep 25, 2009
northern NY
Stove is coming tomorrow. dealer said it is going to smell and to open windows but did not really elaborate. How does one break in a stove? I realize the paint is going to cure and smell up the place but how do I do this right? Lotta money spent to ruin it the first day:] Do I have a few small fires over a few days or do I just get it to say 300 then shut it down? then build a bigger fire next for a short time . Sorry for my ignorance. Thanks for any advice

It would help (a lot) to know which stove. I think it's for more critical in the
instance of cast-iron, as opposed to steel. In fact, I'm wondering myself
what the rec is for my soon-to-arrive steel Blaze King.

Of course, there are two purposes of break-in fires. To get the stove
mechanically ready for really hot fires. And to burn off the paint fumes.

I would go with some small fires over the course of a few days.
It's gonna smell every time you get it a little hotter so get ready.
Just a few sticks of kindling for the initial fire should do it.
You'll be in good shape for the cold weather - Enjoy!

There will likely be manufacturer instructions on break-in fires in the owners manual. Follow those. For my Jotul, it was a series of 3 very small fires reaching increasing peak temperatures, and cooling down in between.

It got some smell from the stove and new pipe, but it was not too awful, and went away after the third break-in fire.

grommal said:
There will likely be manufacturer instructions on break-in fires in the owners manual. Follow those. For my Jotul, it was a series of 3 very small fires reaching increasing peak temperatures, and cooling down in between.

It got some smell from the stove and new pipe, but it was not too awful, and went away after the third break-in fire.

+1, but my Montpelier smoked badly.

RustyShackleford said:
It would help (a lot) to know which stove. I think it's for more critical in the
instance of cast-iron, as opposed to steel. In fact, I'm wondering myself

Rusty,
It's pretty much the same as with most other stoves. A few fires to break it in, starting small and progressively going larger. It's covered in the owners manual, which I believe is available online.

To the OP,
Light a fire or two in the stove outside before you bring it in the house to install it... this saves a lot of grief!

As stated above, the brochure should list your stove's specifics. If by chance it does not, ours stated to burn 3 break-ins to reach the ideal temp for one hour then allowing the stove to get to room temp:

Break -in fires
A series of three break-in fires are required. The first is to raise the surface temperature of the stove to 200 degrees. Another is to raise the surface temperature to 300 degrees. And yet another is to raise the surface temperature to 400 degrees. A stovetop thermometer is required for this procedure and the stove should be allowed to cool to room temperature between fires. Note: Use less wood.

i am having a enviro 1700 wood insert installed today.
i read the owners manual and it did not mention a break in procedure.
i might just the one that is listed above. 200 F, then 300 then 400.
i have a temp sensor from harbor freight(the point and click laser type) that i will use to monitor temps

or is there something else is hould consider?

devinsdad said:
Stove is coming tomorrow. dealer said it is going to smell and to open windows but did not really elaborate. How does one break in a stove? I realize the paint is going to cure and smell up the place but how do I do this right? Lotta money spent to ruin it the first day:] Do I have a few small fires over a few days or do I just get it to say 300 then shut it down? then build a bigger fire next for a short time . Sorry for my ignorance. Thanks for any advice

New stoves need break-in fires if only to help cure the furnace cement. The same goes for any stove pipe where furnace cement is used.

You will get some smell (maybe or maybe not) from the new stove but also from new stove pipe. When we installed our last stove we got much more from the pipe than from the stove. In fact, we did not notice any from the stove.

Crack a window or two when doing break-in fires.

Here is how we do break-in fires (we've done very similar fires with other stoves too).

1st fire. Use some kindling only. Light it, let it burn out and let the stove cool.

2nd fire. Use kindling and a couple small splits. Light it, let it burn out and let the stove cool.

3rd fire. Use kindling and 3 or 4 splits. Enjoy the heat. Let the fire die out and then you are ready to go.

grommal said:

+2 . . . or maybe it's +3 . . . in any case, good advice . . . go with the manufacturer's recomendations.

I never had any smell from my break in fires?

Wet1 said:
RustyShackleford said:
In fact, I'm wondering myself

Rusty,
It's pretty much the same as with most other stoves. A few fires to break it in, starting small and progressively going larger. It's covered in the owners manual, which I believe is available online.

They don't get into it very much. Sounds like (for this STEEL make), that the only point of break-in fire
is to burn off paint fumes. Also, the paint can actually blister if this is not done.

Status
Not open for further replies.