Bottom up flue cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

hearthstoneheat

Hearth Supporter
Mar 23, 2010
Cleveland, Ohio
Just was curious as to how many of you clean your flue pipe from the bottom up? I was thinking of giving it a shot, as it would be easier than climbing onto the roof. How would I go about cleaning it from the bottom up? Do I simply disconnected the pipe from the stove and go that route, or do I remove the baffle from the stove and try to go in through the stove door and up? I did a search on this and couldn't find anything on bottom up cleaning. I'm sure this has been discussed before. Thanks.

Bottom up works good. On the T6 you take the baffle out and its a strait shot up. You just put the brush through the door and up the chimney. It helps to have flexible rods. I have recently switched to the 'sooteater' and couldn't be happier. The sooteater is a set of very flexible, short rods with a end like a weed whacker. Its adjustable to flue size and works great you just have to have an electric drill.

Cool, I've considered the sooteater. Do you do anything special to keep soot/dust down?

I go from the bottom up now for safety sake. The house we have now is about 35' from the top of the flue to the ground. Combination of meds and getting older made it practical. I undo the pipe at the stove and punch a hole in a trash bag to run rods through so the dust is minimal. One section of pipe plus elbows are brushed outside. Works good and takes about an hour. Top down is faster but not safer.

realstihl said:
I go from the bottom up now for safety sake. The house we have now is about 35' from the top of the flue to the ground. Combination of meds and getting older made it practical. I undo the pipe at the stove and punch a hole in a trash bag to run rods through so the dust is minimal. One section of pipe plus elbows are brushed outside. Works good and takes about an hour. Top down is faster but not safer.

I like the garbage bag idea. Do you just pull the bag down every so often to see how your progress is?

what is at the top of your vent?? a chimney cap? is so now what? do you have a steep pitch or dangerous location? interesting approach, the bottom up cleaning method. think i'd like to see it done.

hearthstoneheat said:
realstihl said:

I like the garbage bag idea. Do you just pull the bag down every so often to see how your progress is?

The hardest part is securing bag to the pipe. Big rubber band, rubber strap, or whatever. Put the brush in the pipe first then poke a hole for the rod. Your still going to get some dust,but not as much. Sometimes the natural suction will pull on the bag. Just less mess this way.

As I said I clean through the door now. What I do is cover the door opening with apiece of plastic which works well but what really works good is to get a shop vac and make an extension if you need to then suck the air from the stove right out of the house. I just used flexible plastic dryer pipe and put it in the stove when I work.

hearthstoneheat said:
Cool, I've considered the sooteater. Do you do anything special to keep soot/dust down?

Used to clean from the bottom up with flex rod and steel brush. Purchased a sooteater and have used it twice- ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!
If I wanted I could just go through the pipe, but I prefer to remove the pipe when cleaning. My stove is in the basement, so I do not attach anything for the dust and had only one small puff back of dust.
If you want to clean bottom up I would HIGHLY recommend the sooteater. I can do my chimney in 15-20 minutes usually. Only suggestion is that you have a fairly powerful drill depending on the run. I have a plug in Black and Decker (120V/5A) drill that has absolutely not problem with a 33' run.

Actually do not mind cleaning the chimney anymore.

yooperdave said:
what is at the top of your vent?? a chimney cap? is so now what? do you have a steep pitch or dangerous location? interesting approach, the bottom up cleaning method. think i'd like to see it done.

Dave, this is why a lot of folks put a tee in their flue. Then it is a simple matter of removing the cap from the bottom of the tee and stick the brush in there and push up. Beats climbing but it can get a bit dirty. Best to wear safety glasses too when cleaning as getting any of that stuff in the eyes can be really nasty.

It's been a long time since I've cleaned from top down and I don't miss it. But then, it's also been a long time since I've cleaned the chimney too. I think it was June 2009 the last time. Love the cat stove and dry wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.