Borderline clearances advice and stove selection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HiSeasDI

Aug 16, 2024
NY
Hello all, long time reader of the excellent content here but first time participant. I have been planning my install for quite some time, researched countless stoves and scenarios, however I need some real world advice from the experts here. The scenario is this:

-Basement install with approximately 82-82.5" ceiling
-Corner installation
-Tile over concrete slab, timber framed walls with sheetrock
-Attempting to design for no heat shield while having the tightest clearances to the walls
-Basement is about 800sqft and is primarily for ambiance/space heating and occasional supplemental heat
-Plenty of draft, 8" chimney reducing to 6", replacing an old install

My issue is the 82 inch ceiling, nearly every stove in my wheelhouse is requiring full 84" ceiling height or we are approximately 2.75" too short on the minimum distance from stove top to a combustible ceiling. The primary stove I am looking at is the True North TN20, which makes no reduced clearance statements in their literature. The stove top to ceiling minimum is 56.75", where I have 54" in this instance. Is the NFPA 211 requirement of 48" from stove top superseded by the manufacturers' requiring 56.75?

I prefer not to go with one of the very small stoves like the Drolet Nano, Osburn 950, TN10, or similar. The only other stove I have found thus far that comes close to meeting our clearance and performance goals is the Quadra-fire Discover I. Please help un-stuck this weary researcher!

That's pretty close. A ceiling heat shield on 1" spacers would likely suffice. When in doubt, check with the manufacturer and inspecting authority.

That's pretty close. A ceiling heat shield on 1" spacers would likely suffice. When in doubt, check with the manufacturer and inspecting authority.
Yes, hence my continued frustration. I figured worst case scenario that would resolve the height issue., sheet metal on spacers.

Pacific Energy wouldn’t provide any clarity on reduced clearances, they punted to whatever the local authority requires. Getting the local town/county building department involved is asking for a potential colonoscopy.

Open to any advice on other stoves to look at as well, thanks for the help!

Take a look at the Century S250.

Stoves
Yes, hence my continued frustration. I figured worst case scenario that would resolve the height issue., sheet metal on spacers.

Pacific Energy wouldn’t provide any clarity on reduced clearances, they punted to whatever the local authority requires. Getting the local town/county building department involved is asking for a potential colonoscopy.

Open to any advice on other stoves to look at as well, thanks for the help!
I'm not even sure a vented shield is an approved method in general for ceilings.
Why?
Vented shields work because of blocking radiation and having convection cooling behind it. The former happens but the latter is severely hindered for a large shield mounted horizontally at the warmest point of the room.

Check out the Jotul F45. Says 72” floor to ceiling for alcove

Stoves

I'm not even sure a vented shield is an approved method in general for ceilings.
Why?
Vented shields work because of blocking radiation and having convection cooling behind it. The former happens but the latter is severely hindered for a large shield mounted horizontally at the warmest point of the room.
I get that logic, many of the SBI stoves i.e. Osburn illustrate such a ceiling shield regarding clearance reduction though. In my particular case being as I am only 2-3 inches shy of the 84" height requirement was hopeful that this would get me across the finish line if needed.
Take a look at the Century S250.
Sure did, alongside the small Drolet stoves, True North TN10, and Osburn 950. I was concerned these fireboxes would be too small to be worth the trouble, unless anyone has first hand experience to the contrary I'm open minded. The TN20 was front and center due to the very low corner clearance requirements, simplicity, and pricing.
Check out the Jotul F45. Says 72” floor to ceiling for alcove
The F45 has been on my short list, I had a F3 that I was going to use but it didn't work out. The only issue I have is the 11 inch corner clearance and being physically larger than some others it might be large in the space, love the Jotuls though.
get a piece of metal roofing .screw it to the ceiling beams
Hopefully will be my fall back plan if no other stove fits the bill.

I get that logic, many of the SBI stoves i.e. Osburn illustrate such a ceiling shield regarding clearance reduction though. In my particular case being as I am only 2-3 inches shy of the 84" height requirement was hopeful that this would get me across the finish line if needed.

Sure did, alongside the small Drolet stoves, True North TN10, and Osburn 950. I was concerned these fireboxes would be too small to be worth the trouble, unless anyone has first hand experience to the contrary I'm open minded. The TN20 was front and center due to the very low corner clearance requirements, simplicity, and pricing.

The F45 has been on my short list, I had a F3 that I was going to use but it didn't work out. The only issue I have is the 11 inch corner clearance and being physically larger than some others it might be large in the space, love the Jotuls though.

Hopefully will be my fall back plan if no other stove fits the bill.
rip the paper off 8" fiberglass insulation and put it between the beams before the metal roofing . it is fireproof

rip the paper off 8" fiberglass insulation and put it between the beams before the metal roofing . it is fireproof
Ceiling is already finished, screwing the sheet metal on spacers into the sheetrock only not the studs wouldn't cut it?

Ceiling is already finished, screwing the sheet metal on spacers into the sheetrock only not the studs wouldn't cut it?
if you screw 5/4 into the clg beams then screw the metal roofing to them. or just run the metal across the beams then you dont need the firring strips

I thought that fiberglass insulation, even unfaced, is not considered non-combustible?

Yes, but advice that used ill-defined terminology (such as fireproof) is not very useful when folks read this forum to determine what they should do?

Yes, but advice that used ill-defined terminology (such as fireproof) is not very useful when folks read this forum to determine what they should do?
it is fireproof. it cant catch fire even if you use a torch on it. for 45 years I saw masons when building a fireplace stuff it in any gaps around the firebox

You sure that wasn't rockwool?

I bought it last week....
Roxul is not fiberglass, it's rockwool. And there are more brands.
Big difference.

I agree the application is different here, and so the temperature rating.
Yet, I believe it's not rated non-combustible, despite whatever you mean by fireproof. And that means it's not up to code to do as you say, rip off the paper and be done.

Insurance companies looking at a claim will have a ball if they discover that.

they stopped using rockwool 50 years ago in houses. it is 30 cents more a sq foot then fiberglass
Not even correct. They use it for "insulation+sound damping" combos in homes.
Anyway, I'll leave it with my post above and wish you a good day.

No, you can see where I live.
As you're now arguing from authority, I suggest you update your knowledge.

This is the end of this discussion for me. Have a good day

Screenshot_20240818-112414.png

rock wool 25% more expensive then fiberglass. you gotta update cause you going backwards with rockwool. do you want lathe and plaster on interior walls also? cause when I ripped those walls down in 100 year old houses I saw rockwool