Blower speed control switch questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JJay56

Jan 27, 2020
Cincinnati
Fireplace xtordinair hybrid-fyre is the insert.
This insert is only a little over a year old and my switch still works but only on full speed. I thought about calling the company about the warranty but also thought about some other options that I have questions about.

I have this variable speed switch that came with the unit and I also got the kit to hardwire this so I have a switch on the wall that supplies the power. Can I remove the speed control switch on the unit and connect the 2 wires that went to it together and then get a speed control switch to replace my switch on the wall? Will removing the switch on the unit also get rid of the thermostat or timer?

Thanks
Pictures attached.

IMG_8904.JPG IMG_8905.JPG IMG_8906.JPG IMG_8907.JPG IMG_8908.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, you can do that. It won't affect thermostat (fan limit) so you'll have to unhook it and connect wires. It's all hooked up in series.

Yes, you can do that. It won't affect thermostat (fan limit) so you'll have to unhook it and connect wires. It's all hooked up in series.

Thanks. I sort of figured the fan limit would be separate. I will have to find a diagram of where it is so I can bypass it.

I just went ahead and got a replacement unit for the faulty switch. Later on I may get one for the wall but I will want to change some things around for that which I dont want to deal with right now.

You need to be careful about modifications for warranty purposes.

If I decided to go ahead and get a wall switch does anyone know of 1 I can use. I want to make sure I get the correct specs.

Hi, I removed the thermocouple on a bottom of insert, under firebox. But my manual spees switch still works fine, i can shut it off manualy or put it on when i want, just get the adjustable OEM switch, should be cheap.

If I decided to go ahead and get a wall switch does anyone know of 1 I can use. I want to make sure I get the correct specs.
I would buy one with a 20 amp rating your blower does not draw near that but 20 amp switch's have heavier contacts personally I like the toggle with a slide next to it over the dial type.

I would buy one with a 20 amp rating your blower does not draw near that but 20 amp switch's have heavier contacts personally I like the toggle with a slide next to it over the dial type.
That's a bit of overkill and could make the controller harder to find. Whatever is chosen, don't use a light dimmer. Use a motor speed control. Do you know the blower motor's FLA rating?

Hey, just throwing an idea, get one you can control with a mobile app. My stove plugged in an outlet with one of those smart devices. I can shut it on and off. Helps when I'm away to shut off the stove that's not that hot anymore.

That's a bit of overkill and could make the controller harder to find. Whatever is chosen, don't use a light dimmer. Use a motor speed control. Do you know the blower motor's FLA rating?
Variable speed switch for ceiling fan or exhaust fan should work 20amp would be the terminal rating I would try to find that has a rating of 5-6 Amp for the controller it self