Blower make a big difference?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KenDoo

Hearth Supporter
Nov 21, 2006
Just bought a 65 cfm blower for my stove. Wondering how much faster this will warm things up. It's been too mild as of late so I haven't been burning...can't wait to try it out though.

Sure , Blower will make a difference. I put a 160 cfm blower behind on the floor blowing up on my feestanding stove and i run it on about 25% and it just rolls the heat off the stove. Works real well with a ceiling fan.

the blower on my stove makes a huge diffrence. I wont buy another stove without one.

The blower on mine is an essential part of the set-up. Since the back half of the stove is in the fireplace the blower moves air in under the stove, up through the rear heat shield, across the top of the stove and straight across the room. And all that you hear is the rushing air. Unlike the insert I had that set up some kind of harmonic in the metal of the stove. It keeps heat from having to "boil" its way out of the fireplace.

Of course with this set-up, the blower and speed control dead center in the back of the stove, you pre-set the variable speed on the blower before you light off the stove. Cheek to cheek with the side of a hot stove is not the way I like to dance.

Another advantage is in the goofy temp days like we are having now. In the morning when the house is "chilly" I fire the stove with kindling and softwoods and let the temp come up and the blower come on. I then let that fire die on back down and it takes the chill off the place as the outside temps are coming up and the sun is starting to heat the house. It does a balanced job of warming the house without getting the place too hot. It gives a couple of hours of declining temp warmth before the thermostat shuts off the blower and by then it has warmed up outside. Without the blower I would just have one warm room with that drill.

My opinion is my blower means everything to my stove. Without it, it would only heat one room really well. The other rooms would be much cooler.

If you have a blower, it should circulate heat throughout your entire house.

Robbie

BrotherBart said:
The blower on mine is an essential part of the set-up. Since the back half of the stove is in the fireplace the blower moves air in under the stove, up through the rear heat shield, across the top of the stove and straight across the room. And all that you hear is the rushing air. Unlike the insert I had that set up some kind of harmonic in the metal of the stove. It keeps heat from having to "boil" its way out of the fireplace.

So in short ........... your running a blower on your back side to get the heat from back there as it tends to collect on your back end ,correct ?

I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page here. ;-)

Roospike said:
BrotherBart said:

So in short ........... your running a blower on your back side to get the heat from back there as it tends to collect on your back end ,correct ?

I just wanted to make sure we were on the same page here. ;-)

Yep. Cooling my backside. Most of the heat I have drawn in my life has been aimed there.

i have a thought for ya BB , i bet you could remote the switch pretty easily for that blower, just extend the wires leading into and out of the rheostat attach them to the power cord and mount the rheostat in a position you can reach easier.

mike esw

stoveguy2esw said:
i have a thought for ya BB , i bet you could remote the switch pretty easily for that blower, just extend the wires leading into and out of the rheostat attach them to the power cord and mount the rheostat in a position you can reach easier.

mike esw

I have thought about that. I have some metal conduit that would be perfect to run the wires through. Now moving that sucker back out to do it...

I actually think I can reach the mounting screws on both sides without moving the stove and am going to give it a try.

I've had some PM sent to me asking about a fan/blower so i thought i would go ahead and post some information per the thread.

This is my set up and following with a link to where i bought mine.
I didnt go with my company stove brand blower i went with a double fan 160 cfm blower i found for $99. + shipping and as i understand through research these are over $200. + retail.

Very good product , well built and quite. "The fan includes a rheostat to vary the fan speed and also includes a temperature sensor switch to enable the fan to turn on and off with the heat "
I normally run mine at about 25% speed to roll the heat off the stove and the ceiling fan(s) take over from there.
I sit mine on the floor behind my stove pointing up under the back heat shield and found no reason to mount the fasn as it does a great job where its at.

The link for the fan/blower is here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=130026131937&rd=1&rd=1

Roospike said:
Sure , Blower will make a difference. I put a 160 cfm blower behind on the floor blowing up on my feestanding stove and i run it on about 25% and it just rolls the heat off the stove. Works real well with a ceiling fan.

Attachments

• Blower make a big difference?
    1.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 466
  • Blower make a big difference?
    2.JPG
    35.4 KB · Views: 467
roospike, those blowers look IDENTICAL to the ones that are in my regency stove, one motor in the middle spinning two squirrel cages.

Status
Not open for further replies.