Blower issues- hearthstone manchester

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Moranaj

Oct 19, 2018
PA
When the blower runs, it does a great job of moving warm air but it seems to just turn on whenever it feels like. Unfortunately there is no on off and it is controlled only by the snap switch in the back. Based on what ive read, it needs to hit 120 degrees to turn on, but my stovetop has been 450-500 for 2.5 hours now. The cast iron on the sides of the stove are about 350 and I cant get a good reading on the back because of the plate. I just cant imagine the switch hasnt hit 120. Some days it will turn on after 30 minutes and some days are like today. How do I access this switch and is it something that commonly goes bad? I dont think it ever worked great.....

Snap switches are cheap and some are not accurate, but before replacing make sure that it is pressing firmly against the stove body. The rear heat shield will need to be removed to access this.

Reactions: webby3650
How do I remove the heatshield? I dont see any bolts in the back so my only guess is to remove the top and there will be something underneath that attaches the heatshield

Solved: the rear heatshield is removed by removing the top of the stove and simply lifting the back off. The switch seems to be operating correctly as i tested it with a heat gun but it looked like there might have been a small gap. The blower is kind of designed poorly so i did the best I could to make it contact properly. We will see

Reactions: begreen
Hope that helps. The snap switch should be pressing firmly against the stove body for proper performance.

Last edited:
Our Snap Disc activates around 500*F, and shuts down somewhere below 250*F.....we're okay with it.

I got frustrated at how long the disc took to start the fan on my PE so I removed it and installed a rheostat. Now when the thermometer hits 400 above the door I turn it on manually. When it starts to cool down I turn the fan down or off to keep the firebox warmer longer till the next reload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk