Blower Connection questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cabinman

Hearth Supporter
Mar 7, 2007
I have a Napoleon 1401 wood insert with two blowers. I received the fireplace from the store got it home and found that the electrical connections were not connected. I called the store, and Napoleon, to find out how to connect the reostat, thermostat and blower. Both told me to look at the owners manual and follow instruction. I am dumfounded and can not figure it out. They also told me, numerous times over, its just a loop. I have a power cord, two wires fromthe blower, two from the reosta, and two from the thermostat. Cal any one tell me, in simple terms, how to make these simple connections. I appreciate any help I can get.

cabinman said:
I have a Napoleon 1401 wood insert with two blowers. I received the fireplace from the store got it home and found that the electrical connections were not connected. I called the store, and Napoleon, to find out how to connect the reostat, thermostat and blower. Both told me to look at the owners manual and follow instruction. I am dumfounded and can not figure it out. They also told me, numerous times over, its just a loop. I have a power cord, two wires fromthe blower, two from the reosta, and two from the thermostat. Cal any one tell me, in simple terms, how to make these simple connections. I appreciate any help I can get.
I don't know the particulars but I would think the loop they are talking about is
power from the wall, nuetral goes directly to one wire on the blower.
the other wire, the hot would go from the wall to the t-Stat to the reo to the blower
that should be you're loop.
EDIT>>>>>>>
http://www.napoleonfireplaces.com/Webshare/installation_manuals/EPA.pdf
figure 18 on page 9 shows the power going thru reostat first the temp switch then blower

From my knowledge of AC, plus the circuit diagram... In your AC cord you should have three wires - White, connected to the wider flat prong; Black connected to the narrow flat prong; and Green connected to the round ground prong.

Connect the WHITE wire in the AC cord to one side of each blower motor
Connect a BLACK jumper from the other side of the blower motors to one side of the heat sensor switch
Connect a BLACK jumper from the other side of the heat sensor switch to one side of the thermostat
Connect the BLACK wire in the AC cord to the other side of the thermostat
Connect the GREEN wire in the AC cord to the stove body, if there is a green screw on any of the electrical parts use that point to connect to.

Sketch:

AC Cord White wire>---<blowers>--black--<heat sensor>--black--<thermostat>--<AC cord black wire

AC Cord Green wire>---<chassis ground>

Hope this helps,

Gooserider

I see this is the 2nd post on the same subject for you. It may just be the loop that is confusing you so here is a quick drawing.
the x's are connection points between each.

However if you don't understand the drawing or what we've been telling you you should hire an electrician.
feel free to PM any one of us if you have questions.

Attachments

• blower connection.bmp
    172.3 KB · Views: 305
GVA said:
I see this is the 2nd post on the same subject for you. It may just be the loop that is confusing you so here is a quick drawing.

However if you don't understand the drawing or what we've been telling you you should hire an electrician.

Actually GVA, I found your sketch a bit confusing since you seem to show two neutrals going to the blower motors rather than one neutral and the ground. I followed it, but only because I knew what you were trying to show. The green ground wire (which might not be present, if the cord only has two prongs, it won't have a green ground wire) should be tied to a chassis ground point, not an electrical contact on the motor! Remember that the ground wire is only there in case of problems, under normal operations it should NEVER see any current going through it. The theory is that if a hot wire shorts to the stove (or other device) frame, rather than letting the stove become electrically hot, the ground wire carries the current to ground, (ideally blowing the fuse in the process...) but it should not see any current during normal operation.

When building electronics gear, one of the standard tests is known as the "Hi-pot" or High Potential test, where the hot and neutral wires are tied together, and several thousand volts of electrical potential are applied between those wires and the ground connection - there must be zero or negligible current flow, or the unit fails.

The "loop" should be from the white Neutral in the AC cord to the black hot, the green is a sort of seperate branch that doesn't connect to the other part of the loop.

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
GVA said:

Actually GVA, I found your sketch a bit confusing since you seem to show two neutrals going to the blower motors rather than one neutral and the ground. I followed it, but only because I knew what you were trying to show. The green ground wire (which might not be present, if the cord only has two prongs, it won't have a green ground wire) should be tied to a chassis ground point, not an electrical contact on the motor! Remember that the ground wire is only there in case of problems, under normal operations it should NEVER see any current going through it. The theory is that if a hot wire shorts to the stove (or other device) frame, rather than letting the stove become electrically hot, the ground wire carries the current to ground, (ideally blowing the fuse in the process...) but it should not see any current during normal operation.

When building electronics gear, one of the standard tests is known as the "Hi-pot" or High Potential test, where the hot and neutral wires are tied together, and several thousand volts of electrical potential are applied between those wires and the ground connection - there must be zero or negligible current flow, or the unit fails.

The "loop" should be from the white Neutral in the AC cord to the black hot, the green is a sort of seperate branch that doesn't connect to the other part of the loop.

Gooserider
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????what??????????????????????????????????????????

Look at the middle wire in the drawing......
now where is the X??????
that would be the connection to the chassis.......
RECAP.......... 2 wires from the motor goose......

Thanks for reminding me what the ground wire is for.........
You seemed to think it was a 3 wire cord to from your previous post.

GVA said:
Gooserider said:
GVA said:

Actually GVA, I found your sketch a bit confusing since you seem to show two neutrals going to the blower motors rather than one neutral and the ground. <SNIP>

Gooserider
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????what??????????????????????????????????????????

Look at the middle wire in the drawing......
now where is the X??????

Maybe it's the way my machine renders the photo, but it looks to me like the wire on the left connects to one end of the blower, and the wire in the middle connects to the center of the blower - it's a bit ambiguous. I probably would have drawn a bit differently so that the ground wire didn't go near the motor, and instead went to a point labeled "chassis ground". I think that would have been a better way to draw it, but it's more a style choice than a right/wrong sort of thing.

that would be the connection to the chassis.......
RECAP.......... 2 wires from the motor goose......

Agreed. Like I said, a style question, not a substance issue.

Thanks for reminding me what the ground wire is for.........

Well I sort of thought YOU knew what it was for, :) but I was also thinking of the OP and any other people reading the thread that aren't as "electrically clueful" - the reminder won't hurt anyone...

You seemed to think it was a 3 wire cord to from your previous post.

True, and you will note that I showed the green wire going to a chassis ground on a seperate line from the "loop" layout of the rest of the circuit - I said to use a green screw designating a ground point if one was provided since that would be the intended ground connection point for the best hookup.

Actually IIRC, when I looked at the manual reference that was pointed at, it showed a ground wire, so I'm pretty sure one is present - I'm also not sure it would be possible / reasonable to build a double insulated blower that would meet the UL requirements for use w/ a two wire cord. As much metal as there is showing on a stove, I know I'd probably want to go with a three wire cord if I were designing such a setup myself. However since the ground wire isn't essential to function, I thought it worth pointing out that it isn't present in ALL appliances.

Gooserider

LMFAO, but it still looks like its touching the motor HAHA;)
J/k GVA, have a beer on me bro.

GVA said:
Update for ya

IMHO looks less confusing - thanks! :coolsmile:

Gooserider

"Allright children....be nice"...lol

J/K....

Nice diagram GVA....

This doesnt seem that hard to me.
1) take the white wire from the plug and connect it to the blower moter ( if one connection is marked neut, neutral, or is silver and one gold connect to the silver, if no markings it doesnt mater )
2) take the black wire from the plug and connect it to one side of the

oppppps deleate please

This doesnt seem that hard to me.
1) take the white wire from the plug and connect it to the blower moter ( if one connection is marked neut, neutral, or is silver and one gold connect to the silver, if no markings it doesnt mater )
2) take the black wire from the plug and connect it to one side of the reostate.
3) from the other side of the reostate run a black wire to the temp switch.
4) from the other side of the temp switch run another black wire to the other connection on the blower.
5) If there is a ground wire ( which it sounds there is ) connect it to any point marked chassis gnd or one of the blower mounting bolts or screws. The blower will work without this connection but is safer with it if the green wire is present.
thats it blower on.

Status
Not open for further replies.