Block-off Plate: would aluminum work or only steel is needed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

yuryk

Feb 17, 2024
Eastern MA
Hi guys. I mostly see galvanized steel mentioned as material for a block-off plate. But what about aluminum? I heard it becomes softer above 400F, so not sure if it's suitable for this purpose... I just can't find galvanized steel of 26 or 24 gauge of proper size, but found 36 in. x 36 in. x 0.02 in. Plain Silver Metallic Aluminum Sheet Metal at Home Depot, but not sure whether it'll do the job...

Thank you.

Aluminum is less forgiving if you bend it incorrectly. Steel will stretch when you bend it back, Al will crack.

Check with a plumbing supply or hvac supply. They'll have it.

Reactions: yuryk
Thank you, it's very helpful. Another argument I guess that galvanized sheet metal would produce dangerous fumes when hot, right? I saw it few times on this forum... But anyway, those are just 2 options: either aluminum or galvanized sheet metal for a metal block-off plate, correct?

The block-off plate won't get hot enough to offgas. Aluminum is an option, so is sheet steel, but galvanized is most commonly used.

The block-off plate won't get hot enough to offgas.
I was curious and asked Travis Industries about max outer temperatures for their stove. Here is a response from a tech support guy:
Our units are made to operate between 600-900 degrees optimally. They can and will peak well above that temperature 1100-1200 degrees at times but should never be allowed to sustain temperatures above 900 degrees.
And about galvanized steel I read that in long-term, continuous exposure of it, the recommended maximum temperature is 392 F. 900F sounds like a lot, so curious if it can exceed that value at a distance to the block-off plate... Did anyone use a probe to figure out?

Was the tech specifically asked about inserts? An insert typically has a convective jacket surrounding the stove body to collect the heat. The jacket temp should be well below the stove body temp.

Was the tech specifically asked about inserts?
I have just followed up with him about it, asking specifically about an insert. Here is his response:
Those temps are to be expected at the liner base/exhaust of any wood burning unit we manufacture. It’s all relative to other factors like wood species, wood moisture content, length of venting, and outside temperature.
So, I guess, aluminium or regular steel plate would be safer to use... Not sure though, just thinking out loud...

Last edited:
Yes, the liner will get hotter at times but the heat disappates quickly.