Block off plate questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Welderman85

Feeling the Heat
Nov 1, 2017
Chesaning MI
Hello all I have been looking around at block off plates trying to figure out howntondonmine.how to do mine . I have to notch the damper a little for the liner to fit. After that can I just attach a block off to the damper steel or housing or whatever it's called. Also how tight should it be around the insert. I got a bunch or Rexall insulation we call it brown death to use.

The block off plate fits at the top of the firebox, in my case immediately below the damper and at the top edge of the fire brick. I split my plate into 2 pieces to make is easier to fit around the liner. After pushing it into place I used 2 tapcon screws to secure it to the firebrick. Then caulked the exposed seams with high temperature stuff. Used roxul to stuff the gaps around the liner.

20191102_124339.jpg