Block off plate custom build

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

excessads

Burning Hunk
Feb 16, 2016
Garden State
For those of you built your own B/o plate, what type/gauge sheet metal you ended up using? Also, I don't have access to any professional machine, will likely end up doing it by hand. Mind sharing any tricks or long term stability/things I need to look out for?

I am expecting town inspection on the insert further down the road and would like to keep it flexible. Any of you have installed it in way that the plate can actually come off?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I used 22ga I believe. siliconed and screwed to masonry. if you two piece it(basically cut it in half, but you'd want some overlap) then it could come out without disconnecting the liner maybe.

24 or even 26 ga would work fine, especially with an L tab around the perimeter for attachment.

I custom made mine using Lowes Stove board here https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-Black-Stove-Board/3818605

here are some pics and I made a toggle bolt setup using 1 inch wide bracket that hangs from top of damper frame

If you use 2 pieces, would you rivet them together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Self tapping sheet metal screws work fine.
The galv flat stock sheet at Home Depot or Lowes in the duct work isle will do just fine. Best to bent about 1" or so right angle bend all the way around the perimeter, then silicone that edge to the masonry when done. If you don't have hand brakes to bend it with, a 2x4 edge will due to form the 90 degree bends.

Reactions: The Principal
No preblemo

Status
Not open for further replies.