Blind squirrel? Early Fisher Papa Bear?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Anak

May 30, 2019
NW USA
I was just looking for a cheap wood stove to heat my shop (1,500 sq ft footprint, roughly 2 stories tall, pretty well insulated). and I figured this would be the right time of year to find something at a better price. I came across an ad for a Fisher Papa Bear for $350 and figured that was a reasonable choice.

The guy I bought it from had it sitting outside, hasn't fired it off in at least 5 years.

I got it home and started doing some research on it. Noticed it didn't have a door seal and wondered if it should have. Answer seems to be "No." Found this site and the "All Things Fisher" thread. (Very useful. Thank you all.) Noticed a comment about early stoves being hinged on the left and took a second look at mine, and yes, it appears to be hinged on the left. Also noticed the top on mine does not have a bend, but is rather welded. I surmise this means it is a three piece top. The handle has no knob on it. I don't know if that was lost, or if it never had one.

Some pics:

053019FisherPapaBear2OPT.jpg 053019FisherPapaBear4OPT.jpg 053019FisherPapaBear6OPT.jpg

I have some work to do.

Plan is to wire wheel it and get some paint on it. Replace the damaged/missing firebrick. Probably add a baffle at the top (noticed that thread too). I may also fabricate some new damper knobs for it. I am looking at the simple pipe caps and thinking those are going to be a pain to try to turn when hot. I may put those on a shelf and make something similar to the finned caps.

At any rate, I am on a new learning curve. Looks like a fun one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Todd67
Welcome to the forums, looking forward to seeing the progress on this. I love the old Fishers

I was just looking for a cheap wood stove to heat my shop (1,500 sq ft footprint, roughly 2 stories tall, pretty well insulated). and I figured this would be the right time of year to find something at a better price. I came across an ad for a Fisher Papa Bear for $350 and figured that was a reasonable choice.

The guy I bought it from had it sitting outside, hasn't fired it off in at least 5 years.

I got it home and started doing some research on it. Noticed it didn't have a door seal and wondered if it should have. Answer seems to be "No." Found this site and the "All Things Fisher" thread. (Very useful. Thank you all.) Noticed a comment about early stoves being hinged on the left and took a second look at mine, and yes, it appears to be hinged on the left. Also noticed the top on mine does not have a bend, but is rather welded. I surmise this means it is a three piece top. The handle has no knob on it. I don't know if that was lost, or if it never had one.

Some pics:

View attachment 244568 View attachment 244569 View attachment 244570

I have some work to do.

Plan is to wire wheel it and get some paint on it. Replace the damaged/missing firebrick. Probably add a baffle at the top (noticed that thread too). I may also fabricate some new damper knobs for it. I am looking at the simple pipe caps and thinking those are going to be a pain to try to turn when hot. I may put those on a shelf and make something similar to the finned caps.

At any rate, I am on a new learning curve. Looks like a fun one.
What is your shop used for?

What is your shop used for?

Hobby shop/alternative to a therapist/alternative to watching performances of voluptuous harlots at Shotgun Willie's.

I make stuff out of wood (probable fuel for wood stove).

I make stuff out of metal.

I fix the family grocery getters.

I modify my Jeep.

I may even teach one of my Varmints how to do something from time to time.

It is just an all-around workshop.

Reactions: Hillbilly549
Hobby shop/alternative to a therapist/alternative to watching performances of voluptuous harlots at Shotgun Willie's.

I make stuff out of wood (probable fuel for wood stove).

I make stuff out of metal.

I fix the family grocery getters.

I modify my Jeep.

I may even teach one of my Varmints how to do something from time to time.

It is just an all-around workshop.
Solid fuel burners are prohibited in any space in which gasoline or flamable vapors are present. And are prohibited in any garage. That means this install cannot meet code and could pose problems with insuring the space and could likely cause a claim to be denied.

I am not saying you cant do it but you should be aware of the risks.

My Papa Bear was rougher than that, but it cleaned up nice. You can still get the (Baxter?) draft caps, cast new. I got the info from a thread Coaly had going I think. You can put more fire brick above the row that's there. Good luck! Nice stove-

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your early Papa Bear stove!