Blaze King Ultra question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
Today it was about 40 degrees and an ice cold rain fell most of the day.I fired up the King with 4 oak rounds about 6 inches each in diameter.After about an hour I had a stovetop thermometer placed at 6 o'clock below the hole where the catalyst thermometer sits.The temp showed 750 degrees and the catalyst thermometer was buried 1/4 inch beyond the 5th marking on the catalyst probe,the catalyst was cherry red. Is this normal? and am I causing any damage to the unit. PS does engaging the catalyst mean when the cat probe hits 500 degrees close the bypass damper/

sounds nice 2 me. There is a guy on another thread who would kill for that kinda performance.

Sounds too hot to me. 750 stove top would be awesome, but you're going to overheat your Cat. Shorten the useful lifespan of it. I adjust my T-stat depending on my cat temp., stove top is what it is. Oak may be different, I only burn softwood, so it outgasses quicker and my burning habits will be different than yours. 500 deg. is when I close the bypass also.

If the cat is glowing, you're burning smoke & vapors.
As long as it don't go over the max cat temp for a long time, you're ok. Mine's done it too, now I use 3 on the stat as max.
High, in the book is 3 on the stat, if you go past that, It's wide open with no stat control. (chance to over heat the cat & stove)
I never walk away from the stove if I turn it wide open, alway turn to 3 or less before I leave for a while.
I burn for about 10 minutes on 3 then close the bypass, then 10 more minutes on 3 before I turn down the stat.
burns off allot of the moisture out of the wood. Glass stays pretty clean.
I am amazed when I look in the stove, see very little glowing coals yet the cat is glowing steady. A good thing.
Stove pipe is almost cool enough to hold your hand on. Long burn times with allot of heat.
Sweet.

The way I understand it, and I hope Im right is the way BG explained it, as long as you dont go over the max cat temp marked on your thermometer you're ok.

so .. most of the time you do NOT see any kind of secondaries light show ? .. only the cat glowing?

bummer .. im addicted to the light show

bogydave said:
If the cat is glowing, you're burning smoke & vapors.
As long as it don't go over the max cat temp for a long time, you're ok. Mine's done it too, now I use 3 on the stat as max.
High, in the book is 3 on the stat, if you go past that, It's wide open with no stat control. (chance to over heat the cat & stove)
I never walk away from the stove if I turn it wide open, alway turn to 3 or less before I leave for a while.
I burn for about 10 minutes on 3 then close the bypass, then 10 more minutes on 3 before I turn down the stat.
burns off allot of the moisture out of the wood. Glass stays pretty clean.
I am amazed when I look in the stove, see very little glowing coals yet the cat is glowing steady. A good thing.
Stove pipe is almost cool enough to hold your hand on. Long burn times with allot of heat.
Sweet.

man i been wanting to pick that king ultra off craigslist for ssome time but i thenk 2k is too much for a used one! if he said 1000-1500 i might jump on it, used is usually half of retail.

You will smell it when its too hot. Did you have control of the fire? i.e. turn the fan on and the tstat down and go on cruise control?

SmokeyCity said:
so .. most of the time you do NOT see any kind of secondaries light show ? .. only the cat glowing?

If you are addicted to the light show from the 30, you will be disappointed. You are going to see a little flame and wisps of secondaries at high burn. Just the glow of the cat at lower burn.

But, I am burning ultra crap small diameter junk and just reloaded after 24 hours. Rake the coals front center, load it back up, set the tstat and go.

the King seems good for basement then...no one watching - just producing long steady heat

SolarAndWood said:
SmokeyCity said:

If you are addicted to the light show from the 30, you will be disappointed. You are going to see a little flame and wisps of secondaries at high burn. Just the glow of the cat at lower burn.

But, I am burning ultra crap small diameter junk and just reloaded after 24 hours. Rake the coals front center, load it back up, set the tstat and go.

SmokeyCity said:
the King seems good for basement then...no one watching - just producing long steady heat

SolarAndWood said:
SmokeyCity said:

Not to be a SA, but I bought a new Wood stove for HEAT.

If you have a wood stove that heats your whole house, I think it's beautiful, what ever brand you have & where ever it's located.
I guess I like wood stoves. When I went to the wood stove store, I, like many wanted to have several of them. They all
looked good to me.
FIRE, & controlling Fire it for heating my house, cutting wood, splitting wood: ("Pretty" never entered my thoughts)
But I'm "old school" & focus on the basics: Wood stove: for heat, vehicle: for transportation, house: for protection from the elements etc.

You can get a light show off a BK.
Just get her cranking good for awhile then slam the air all the way down...grab some popcorn first..lol.

HotCoals said:
Just get her cranking good for awhile then slam the air all the way down...grab some popcorn first..lol.
youll get a couple minute light show at least when you do that lol. or sometimes one flame will shoot up every once in a while

ecocavalier02 said:
HotCoals said:
youll get a couple minute light show at least when you do that lol. or sometimes one flame will shoot up every once in a while
I was bored on one Sunday..lol.

Absolutely right bogey. A stove is for heat first - and secondaries second.

Or maybe its for whatever my wife says its for :=)

bogydave said:
SmokeyCity said:

SolarAndWood said:
SmokeyCity said:

Not to be a SA, but I bought a new Wood stove for HEAT.

If you have a wood stove that heats your whole house, I think it's beautiful, what ever brand you have & where ever it's located.
I guess I like wood stoves. When I went to the wood stove store, I, like many wanted to have several of them. They all
looked good to me.
FIRE, & controlling Fire it for heating my house, cutting wood, splitting wood: ("Pretty" never entered my thoughts)
But I'm "old school" & focus on the basics: Wood stove: for heat, vehicle: for transportation, house: for protection from the elements etc.

SmokeyCity said:

I got to chose the stove, My wife chose the color.
They had "black" or wait 3 months & some other color, "black" I think.
She chose "black".

Actually I was going to get the steel door. She wanted the glass door.
Now I'm glad we got the glass door. Nice to see the fire burning.
Now that I've figured out how to burn properly & keep the glass allot cleaner, it's nice.
(& I think more heat output with the glass door but no proof, IR? )

Thats the way Henry Ford would have made wood stoves

"They can have it in any color they want - as long as its black"

bogydave said:
SmokeyCity said:

I got to chose the stove, My wife chose the color.
They had "black" or wait 3 months & some other color, "black" I think.
She chose "black".

Actually I was going to get the steel door. She wanted the glass door.
Now I'm glad we got the glass door. Nice to see the fire burning.
Now that I've figured out how to burn properly & keep the glass allot cleaner, it's nice.
(& I think more heat output with the glass door but no proof, IR? )

Status
Not open for further replies.