blaze king ultra and king users anything smaller than recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
I know that it states flue size to be 8 inch. Does anyone run a small size ? if so what and what are your experiences ?
I have 8x8 clay flue needs repairs have a crack in a flue tile. Without breaking the flue tiles or my wallet. I can install an uninsulated 6 inch flex liner but I would like to know if it would work well with the king ultra ? The existing chimney is interior 20+ foot masonary. Any suggestions??

how can I fix my seemingly unrepairable chimney to accomodate the king?

If your tiles are in bad shape the new liner needs to be insulated to meet code, so you might as well bust them out and do it right.

cmonSTART said:
The best way is to break the tile and install an 8 inch round liner - preferably insulated.

Not preferably insulated. Definitely insulated.

have 3 flues in one chimney the one for the king is in the middle there is an air gap between each stack. Had a few installers look at the job and they say with the mechanical tool they use to break out the clay flue, will probably damage the other 2 stacks so they dont want to do it. They just want to line it with a 6 inch SS. They other option they offered was to return the stove and get one that uses a 6 inch flue. But I want to run the king.

Ah, lack of a wythe wall. That is a problem with breaking tiles and the other installers are correct. You stand a really good chance of destroying the other flues.

If you want to run the king you will have to go with 8 inch. If you can return the stove for a Princess I say do it.

Sounds like the chimney wasn't built properly. There is another way out there to line chimneys where they pour an insulated concrete down and inflate a balloon type thingy in the flue til it dries then pull it out. This fills any cracks and reenforces the whole flue. I can't remember exactly what it's called and it also cost a little more than a ss liner but you would end up with the right size. I'd also look into filling the gaps between all 3 flues.

There are some products that coat the iside of the flue that is cerimic based it fills holes and cracks in flues. when I go to work tomorrow I will try find the name of the product.

cmonSTART said:
Not a good idea, especially with that stove.
Agreed.
A 6 inch flue has less than half the area your 8 inch square flue has.
FREEZE !! Math police ! 6-squared divided by 8-squared equals 0.56, so the 6"
has a little MORE than half the area.

FREEZE !! Physics police ! If you consider the flow to be laminar (I'm not
sure if that's reasonable or not), then you use Poiseuille's equation ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagen–Poiseuille_equation

... and your point is basically right ! (For the same pressure head,
the 6" pipe will only allow about 30% as much flow, yikes !!)

My King was on 6" without any complications, like elbows/offsets, perfect and it puked smoke. Went by the manual to 8" and all is good. Don't even try the 6" because it won't work and then the dealer won't want to deal with a used stove. The neighbor of mine has a Princess and loves it! It is a little smaller than the King, but boy it heats his old house nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.