Blaze King to buy or not

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HOOSIERJIM

Hearth Supporter
Feb 10, 2010
Indiana
Here's the situation.I have been reading posts on here for the last 3 or so days when time permits trying to gather info on a new stove purchase and have narrowed it down to either a englaner 30 or a blaze king. Just got off phone with blaze king dealer and he has BKK floor demo he will let go for $2000.00 my home is 2200 square foot and the stove will go in one end the house not center. Is this stove overkill and what kind of burn times are realistic. I live in southern Indiana just across the river from Louisville Ky. thanks for any input. forgot to mention this is my first time posting so I'm a newb

That's a great deal if the stove is in great shape and is the model you want. Also, you have seen one of these right? If you can stand the looks of it then you will not find a better stove with regards to utility.

I am more concerned with performance and reliability than looks. I like the idea of a possible 24 hour burn time and the supposedly low hassle to operate once you have it set, mainly concerned it is more stove than I need, main reason for purchasing new unit is to replace my old wood eating Fisher, great heater but it likes the wood

The nice thing about these stoves is that they burn very low very clean especially for a stove with such a big firebox. Burn times depend on wood and burn rate. With a full load of hardwood, you have to push it hard with the fans on high to burn it all in 8 hours. 12 hour burn cycles are what we commonly do when its cold, 24 in more moderate temperatures. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome, just wondering what you consider cold,our coldest days can be single digits at night for a short period, it is supposed to stay below freezing the next two weeks, our lows to high around here normally range from 15 to 40 degrees farenheit. salesman said I could expect up to 24 hour burn time with good hardwood

That's a great deal on the BK. I don't think it would be overkill, it would be if you loaded it full and burned full blast all the time. From what I hear BK has a very controlled burn and heat output and when you really need the heat you have that too.

Forgot to mention salesman did say it was set up in showroom and has had 4 fires run through,the way I see that shouldn't hurt and I should not have to worry about any new stove paint or break in smell

Sounds like you have much milder weather than we do. If you have dry hardwood, I expect that most of the time you will be doing 24+ hour burn cycles. These stoves do a great job with softwoods. I often use pine and spruce and save the denser stuff for when I need it.

Thanks foe everones input, nobody commented on the englander , I was really leaning towards the BKK anyhow just trying to justify the. I am off to the store to check out stove and will come back and let you know what happened,thanka again

HOOSIERJIM said:
Thanks foe everones input, nobody commented on the englander , I was really leaning towards the BKK anyhow just trying to justify the. I am off to the store to check out stove and will come back and let you know what happened,thanka again

The Englander is a great stove and has a strong following on this forum. But, if you are choosing between the two, and you can get the BKK for $2k, and you like the looks, you should go with the BKK. From what I have read on here you should be able to burn at lower temps without any problems and get fantastic burn times. Mind boggling burn times, actually.

Ya cant go wrong. Thats my new slogan whenever someone on here is asking whether to get a blaze king or not.

Your in a fairly mild climate and the BKK would be perfect with the huge fire box and thermostat. You can dial it down and go low and slow.

And @ $2000.00 and the 30% tax credit you save $600.00......So you will have paid $1400.00 :) Sounds like a no brainer?

As soon as I get the tax credit back from my Blaze King-King Ultra, I will have the funds to purchase the double wall 8"stove pipe and complete my install.

While I love my Englander 30, I'm looking forward to longer burn times and using less wood in the future.

I'm using 1/3 to 1/2 a face cord per week now heating 2120 sqft , so If I can get it down to a 1/4 face cord I'll be just tickled.

If you're worries about it being too big then you can look into the princess but really, with the temps you describe and since you already have the all important 8" flue, I would jump all over the king. So long as you can stand the appearance. It will beat the snot out of that old fisher.

Status
Not open for further replies.