Blaze King Thermostat adjustment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ajazz

Jun 10, 2015
Minnesota
I’m wondering if anyone can help me figure out how to adjust the tension on my Blaze King Ashford 30. At some point last winter I lost all tension from about 6:00 to 12:00. According to my dealer (and her rep), she thinks the tension just needs to be adjusted. Her rep is supposed to be getting me directions on how to adjust it, but it still hasn’t happened and it’s soon going to be cold here so thought I’d check here to see if someone could help. Thanks!

It’s likely that the set screw on the knob is just loose.

First, STOP!

Make certain black knob is not slipping! If you see knob is snug then read on.

Thermostats are calibrated on a machine in our factory and cannot be adjusted in your home.
The tension needed to turn the dial is adjustable when done correctly.

1) You'll need vise grips, flat blade screwdriver, sharpie, 5/32 or 7/32 t-handle allen wrench.

Step by step.

Unplug fans from wall. Remove entire fan assembly from thermostat side of stove.

Using a Robertsons #2 square drive, remove cover from thermostat. DO NOT REMOVE SILVER SCREW LOCATED HIGHER UP ON COVER. You may need to use wood dowel or handle from hammer to push up on edge of cover. This can take some real effort depending upon how snug it is. To be clear, only the two black #2 screws hold it. Remove cover.

You we see a set collar on the 1/4" rod running from thermostat knob to thermostat.

Use a Sharpie and make a reference mark on the rod to the black set screw. This is critical to avoid messing up calibration!

Next, clamp the vise grips onto the rod 1/8" from set collar. Next, place flat blade screwdriver in gap between collar and vise grips. Next loosen set screw BEING CAREFUL not to allow it to rotate away from sharpie reference mark.

Twist handle of screwdriver, which will push set collar towards thermostat thusly increasing pressure on the washer on inside of set collar.

Tighten set screw firmly. Remove vise grips, verify alignment of set screw to sharpie reference mark. Turn knob...you should feel increased tension. TURN THERMOSTAT TO LOW, reinstall cover.

Typing on this phone isn't easy!

Reactions: Alpine1 and snaple4
First, STOP!

Make certain black knob is not slipping! If you see knob is snug then read on.

Thermostats are calibrated on a machine in our factory and cannot be adjusted in your home.
The tension needed to turn the dial is adjustable when done correctly.

1) You'll need vise grips, flat blade screwdriver, sharpie, 5/32 or 7/32 t-handle allen wrench.

Step by step.

Unplug fans from wall. Remove entire fan assembly from thermostat side of stove.

Using a Robertsons #2 square drive, remove cover from thermostat. DO NOT REMOVE SILVER SCREW LOCATED HIGHER UP ON COVER. You may need to use wood dowel or handle from hammer to push up on edge of cover. This can take some real effort depending upon how snug it is. To be clear, only the two black #2 screws hold it. Remove cover.

You we see a set collar on the 1/4" rod running from thermostat knob to thermostat.

Use a Sharpie and make a reference mark on the rod to the black set screw. This is critical to avoid messing up calibration!

Next, clamp the vise grips onto the rod 1/8" from set collar. Next, place flat blade screwdriver in gap between collar and vise grips. Next loosen set screw BEING CAREFUL not to allow it to rotate away from sharpie reference mark.

Twist handle of screwdriver, which will push set collar towards thermostat thusly increasing pressure on the washer on inside of set collar.

Tighten set screw firmly. Remove vise grips, verify alignment of set screw to sharpie reference mark. Turn knob...you should feel increased tension. TURN THERMOSTAT TO LOW, reinstall cover.

Typing on this phone isn't easy!
Thanks! This is exactly what I needed. It's definitely not the black knob. That was on there tight!

And thanks for persevering on your phone! Much appreciated!

Reactions: Highbeam