Blaze King Sirocco 25 clearance requirements

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pyrojoe

Oct 18, 2011
Central Indiana
Either I'm misreading something or there's conflicting information between the brochure and the manual. The brochure states the clearance required from top of door opening to mantle as 38", however the manual, on page 12, states that it's 20". Am I missing something? Is the brochure intending to state the clearance from the hearth to mantle? Either way it doesn't quite add up.

They may have updated the information as the manuals release date is October 2 2018. Maybe the brochure has not been updated yet. Same scenario on the ashford 25 insert.

I wonder if the inserts changed too as I don’t see a mantel shield option anymore like I had to do. But I think my old manual said 38” too I’d have to check.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Here’s a link to the old manual. Either they changed something on the inserts or they had more testing to ensure the new clearances are good. Or something completely different. Either way the brochure is not updated yet then.

http://www.blazeking.com/EN/PDF/manuals/OM-SC25-E-archive.pdf

http://www.blazeking.com/EN/PDF/manuals/OM-AF25-E-archive.pdf

In these manuals the height is 38” above the door to mantle or 24” with the shield.

@BKVP should know or can clarify it.

Lopi Rockport
Blaze King Ashford 25

Recently we added a removable baffle in the flue collar. That baffle lowered stack temps and reduced mantel clearances and also the need for a mantel shield. A new brochure is in the works.

Reactions: Tegbert
Recently we added a removable baffle in the flue collar. That baffle lowered stack temps and reduced mantel clearances and also the need for a mantel shield. A new brochure is in the works.
Good to know. How does the removable baffle work if in the flue collar? Is it coupled with the bypass?

Thanks for the clarification.

Good to know. How does the removable baffle work if in the flue collar? Is it coupled with the bypass?
It look nearly identical to our flame shield, so there are holes in the baffle.

It look nearly identical to our flame shield, so there are holes in the baffle.
Sounds like a nice improvement! Is it removable for weak draft installations or is it removable just for cleaning purposes?

Sounds like a nice improvement! Is it removable for weak draft installations or is it removable just for cleaning purposes?
Just to clean...

Correct

Hello everyone! First post here, hoping to bring this topic back to the top. I am buying a Blaze King Ashford 25, so I hope this question is ok here.

My question is this: The new requirement of 20 inches from door top to flammable mantle is without a hearth shield right? So if I add a hearth heat shield what kind of distance is safe. I am about 11.5 inches now, and really don't want to move the mantle. I also don't want to be risky either.

Thoughts? Thanks for being here, this site has so much info!

The original AF25 came with a 22” section of heavy duty stainless flex. It had to be used in all installations...when the pice was provided. That original version also had greater mantel clearances.

A baffle was added in the dome of the stove, directly below the flue collar. The use of the baffle eliminated the need for the section of heavy stainless flex and also reduced mantel clearances.

All AF25 manuals specify installation requirements. As inventories are diverse at dealers so ask if the unit has a baffle. If the unit is not in stock at the dealer and must be ordered, then it will be the version with a baffle.

No other reductions can be made for the mantel on these units. Both manuals are posted at our website.

So I'm about to install my Sirocco 25 that I bought back in 2017. Can I install the new removable baffle, or is it a major design change? Could I drop the mantle clearance down to 20" with the new baffle? The 38" clearance is pretty insane, and barely fits my room.

When a product is safety tested, a manual is shipped with the product. The clearances that appear on the safety label and in the manual are to be maintained. There cannot be any in the field retro work performed to modify the clearances, per the certifying safety lab.

There cannot be any in the field retro work performed to modify the clearances, per the certifying safety lab.
So no additional wall shield on 1" spacers to take an additional 2/3 clearance? Like say a non tested stove must have a 36" clearance from a combustible wall, but if you install the nfpa compliant wall shield you can take 2/3 of that 36" away - aka most stove to 12" from wall.
This is btw just a general question I have, in no way am I planning to do something, these are the things I think of when staring into the sun.

In researching NFPA211, there nothing for reduction to mantel clearances.

Either I'm misreading something or there's conflicting information between the brochure and the manual. The brochure states the clearance required from top of door opening to mantle as 38", however the manual, on page 12, states that it's 20". Am I missing something? Is the brochure intending to state the clearance from the hearth to mantle? Either way it doesn't quite add up.
We resigned the unit allowing for lower clearances. You have older brochure.