Blaze king running cat question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
I have a king and when the cat gauge goes beyond the 12 o'clock positon, can you cause damage to the cat ? If you run the cat indicator around the 3 o'clock of 5 o'clock position is that to hot?? When my stove cat probe hits the 4 o'clock position it is 500* stove top temp. I was wondering if letting it run at this temp will damage the cat or shorten its life???

around 2 1/2

just checked the thermostat is less than 2 1/4, cat gauge is at 2 o'clock and stove top is at 550* and the fans are on medium low speed. Not full load mostly cherry some red oak

kwikrp said:
just checked the thermostat is less than 2 1/4, cat gauge is at 2 o'clock and stove top is at 550* and the fans are on medium low speed. Not full load mostly cherry some red oak

Sounds great. That stove is loving life!

but if I run the cat hotter will it be harmful to it ?

Ok, here is a paragraph from the cat manufacturer which is relevant here:

"Catalytic combustor temperatures above 1800F will shorten the life of a combustor. Combustor temperatures between 1400F and 1600F are common, but operating temperatures between 700F and 1400F are recommended."

Now all that being said, your cat thermometer isn't graduated, but I would say a rough guess would be to avoid being above 4 o'clock. Graduated cat thermometers are available aftermarket.

How long have you had the stove and how do you like it..just curious.

bought it end of spring last year only had a couple of fires, but have had quite a few this year and we like it very much. Has a different type of heat that our older radiant stove. These stove has a more consistant heat. The older stove would blast the heat and as it died down so did the room temp. This one you set it to a comfortable setting and it holds it more consitantly without the highs and lows. Also it almost like a set it and forget it stove. The old stove I was always adjusting the air or adding wood. Much less attention needed with this stove. It has great burn times I have gotten 30 hours out of a full load but the temp outside was not below 40's. The real test is this winter, but so far we are pleased !

Mine normally stays around 10-11:00 with stove top temps around 350-400. No problem holding house at 75*

As long as you run 1400 or less you're fine.. Between 800 and 1200 steady is normal and my cats last a long time..

Ray

kwikrp said:
bought it end of spring last year only had a couple of fires, but have had quite a few this year and we like it very much. Has a different type of heat that our older radiant stove. These stove has a more consistant heat. The older stove would blast the heat and as it died down so did the room temp. This one you set it to a comfortable setting and it holds it more consitantly without the highs and lows. Also it almost like a set it and forget it stove. The old stove I was always adjusting the air or adding wood. Much less attention needed with this stove. It has great burn times I have gotten 30 hours out of a full load but the temp outside was not below 40's. The real test is this winter, but so far we are pleased !

Great testimonial!

on reloads 3 oclock is normal for me after about 10 15 min or so on three then i crank her down and it'll stead stay between noon and 3 if im on 2 of above. if i go lower on the tstat ilt'll stay about 1 or lower the whole burn. sometimes more

If I remember correctly, the owner's manual says the cat thermometer lags behind the actual temp. by a few minutes. So, I try not to let the cat temp. get above 1500...by the time it reads 1500, it is actually higher than that. Once I see 1500, I turn on the stove fans to bring that temp. back down...otherwise I don't use the fans.

Therefore, I purchased one of these so I can tell what the cat temp is.

Attachments

• Blaze king running cat question
    Cat Thermometer.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 430
fdegree said:
If I remember correctly, the owner's manual says the cat thermometer lags behind the actual temp. by a few minutes. So, I try not to let the cat temp. get above 1500...by the time it reads 1500, it is actually higher than that. Once I see 1500, I turn on the stove fans to bring that temp. back down...otherwise I don't use the fans.

Therefore, I purchased one of these so I can tell what the cat temp is.

I also have the temp numbers guage, Gives you a better idea of whats going on. The Princess insert burns hot, I think the brick and surround trap the heat. You gotta run the fan on the insert or it burns at 1800 degrees..... I might try removing the surround panels and see if the cat stays at a cooler temp......

I like that cat gauge. Does it fit without any retrofitting? Where did you get it ?

I have to get the Cat gauge with the temp numbers on it it. My insert has had the cat gauge at around 5 o'clock several times !!!!

Northline Express has a bunch of them on their site. Take your current thermometer out and measure the probe length. It will probably cost between $25 and $30.

cmonSTART has it exactly right. I got it from Northline Express.

If memory serves, the original probe length was 2", but I couldn't find a replacement that had a 2" probe...so I went with a 1.75" probe

Here is a link to their wood stove thermometers:
Wood Stove Thermometers

No retrofitting required...just pull the original one out, and slide the new one in. 3 seconds and you're done.

fdegree said:
cmonSTART has it exactly right. I got it from Northline Express.

If memory serves, the original probe length was 2", but I couldn't find a replacement that had a 2" probe...so I went with a 1.75" probe

Here is a link to their wood stove thermometers:
Wood Stove Thermometers

No retrofitting required...just pull the original one out, and slide the new one in. 3 seconds and you're done.

I know the one that came with my BK can be adjusted if need be..wonder if the ones in your link can be..doesn't say.
Still may get one.

Looking at my original one, and this new one, side by side...they appear identical in every way except for the temp scale on the face of this new one. So, I would assume this new one can be adjusted the same way as the original.

When this new one arrived, I got the stove cruising steady until the original one settled out at the 12 o'clock position...using a pair of needle nose pliers (only because it was too hot to touch), I removed the original and inserted this new one...within a couple of minutes it went right to the 12 o'clock (1000*) position and settled there. No need for any adjustments...they both read the same.

Now for the tough question I had floating in my head...If they don't read the same, which one would need calibrating?????

I bought a Condar temp probe like the one pictured. My temps are often in the "too hot" range, even with the fans running. I have had the temp pegged at 2000 a few times (not on purpose), even with the thermostat dial set at 2 1/2 and the fans on medium speed. Stovetop when this happens is anywhere from 600 - 700 degrees. When the stovetop is 500, the temp probe is usually around 1500. Since this is the first year of burning this stove, I don't have any information for you on cat life when burning like this. Time will tell. I am glad this thread was started, as I was wondering the same thing.

fdegree said:
Looking at my original one, and this new one, side by side...they appear identical in every way except for the temp scale on the face of this new one. So, I would assume this new one can be adjusted the same way as the original.

When this new one arrived, I got the stove cruising steady until the original one settled out at the 12 o'clock position...using a pair of needle nose pliers (only because it was too hot to touch), I removed the original and inserted this new one...within a couple of minutes it went right to the 12 o'clock (1000*) position and settled there. No need for any adjustments...they both read the same.

Now for the tough question I had floating in my head...If they don't read the same, which one would need calibrating?????

When stove is completely cold the stock one should be right at the bottom mark on the in-active scale the manual says.
If not I guess you can adjust that.

This is how my temp looked after the first year of burning, I sent this pic to Condar and they sent me a new temp free of charge.

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>
Blaze king running cat question
</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From BK temp</td></tr></table>

Status
Not open for further replies.