Blaze King Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fdegree

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 20, 2009
Southern Delaware
I didn’t realize, until the other day, that there was a Blaze King Dealer near me. So, now I have been considering the King Parlor, in addition to the others I've been researching. But, I have a number of questions.

1. Is it a convection and/or radiant stove, without the fan option?
2. When burning at a lower thermostat setting, is creosote build-up a problem with this cat stove?
3. With the thermostat set low, the stack temperature will be lower…will 2 - 45 degree elbows significantly impact the draft?
4. The owner’s manual states, “If the thermostat breaks, the damper will automatically close.” If this happens, is there any way to manually adjust the combustion air until the thermostat can be replaced?
5. Will the top get hot enough to cook upon, with and without the fan option?

fdegree said:
I didn’t realize, until the other day, that there was a Blaze King Dealer near me. So, now I have been considering the King Parlor, in addition to the others I've been researching. But, I have a number of questions.

1. Is it a convection and/or radiant stove, without the fan option? No idea
2. When burning at a lower thermostat setting, is creosote build-up a problem with this cat stove? Not if your wood is dry
3. With the thermostat set low, the stack temperature will be lower…will 2 - 45 degree elbows significantly impact the draft? BK has very specific flue recommendations. Follow them.
4. The owner’s manual states, “If the thermostat breaks, the damper will automatically close.” If this happens, is there any way to manually adjust the combustion air until the thermostat can be replaced? No idea
5. Will the top get hot enough to cook upon, with and without the fan option? No idea

Hope my wealth of ignorance was helpful.

fdegree said:
I didn’t realize, until the other day, that there was a Blaze King Dealer near me. So, now I have been considering the King Parlor, in addition to the others I've been researching.

I was turned on to the BK here, bought and installed a Princess recently, and am delighted.
The two big drawbacks are the looks, which some people (or their wives) consider "ugly",
and the price gouging that you'll endure since you live east of the Mississippi River and if
you cannot induce a west-of dealer to ship you one.

The Ultra version has side panels, which supposedly make it convective, and I think they're
optional on the Parlor and Classic. I actually removed them on my Ultra, preferring to go
mostly radiant, since the thing sits in my main living area. I use a ceiling fan, blowing
upwards, to move the air.

2. When burning at a lower thermostat setting, is creosote build-up a problem with this cat stove?

I have not burned mine long enough to check the chimney. I can tell you that with my old Dutchwest
catalytic, I did lots of long slow overnite burns, and I cleaned the chimney every 3 years whether it
needed it or nor - and it did not need it. I see no reason to believe this one will burn dirtier. In fact,
right now I'm at the tail end of a 12+ hour overnite burn, the catalyst is still active, and I see nothing
but heat waves coming out of the chimney cap.

3. With the thermostat set low, the stack temperature will be lower…will 2 - 45 degree elbows significantly impact the draft?

I have back-to-back 45's, for an 8" offset. I'm fine. I do think I have a killer chimney, in terms of its draft.
I am using single wall pipe, and the offset starts about 24" above the stove collar, both directly contrary
to BK's recommendation. This is an experimental setup, and I MAY upgrade to double-wall one of these
days, but I see no compelling reason to, at this point.

I believe that if you follow the rec to have 36" (?) of rise above the stove below your elbows, and if you
use double-wall, you should be fine.

4. The owner’s manual states, “If the thermostat breaks, the damper will automatically close.” If this happens, is there any way to manually adjust the combustion air until the thermostat can be replaced?

I haven't removed the thermostat cover on mine yet; there are dire warnings not to do so.
I don't think thermostat breakage is a big issue. Never heard of it.

I doubt it - perhaps the only thing I like less than the Dutchwest. The top is so thick (1/4"
plate I think) that even with the cat above the active zone (which of course I try to avoid)
the top is not beginning to glow at all.

Good luck !

RustyShackleford said:

I doubt it - perhaps the only thing I like less than the Dutchwest. The top is so thick (1/4"
plate I think) that even with the cat above the active zone (which of course I try to avoid)
the top is not beginning to glow at all.

Good luck !

that and there is an 8" double wall pipe coming out of the top of the stove. no dainty mitten warmers either.

I also have 2 45s with an 8" offset but about 40" off the top of the stove. Works like a champ.

fdegree said:

2 - Low settings on the T-Stat there is not a creosote issue.
3 - BK's testing shows 2-45's work better than a 90 to help keep the smoke moving so they should help the draft.
4 - T-Stats rarely fail but in the event it did happen look at the pics in this thread. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/44109/
5 - It's not likely.

Thanks for the replies...it has been very helpful!!!

Everything sounds right in-line with what I want from a wood stove, except for 2 things...one being the east coast cost, I still have to weigh that with the benefits of the stove to see if I want to invest that much.

The other is the cook top question I raised in the original post...I would like to be able to cook on it if that would ever become necessary. I have read so many things, on so many different stoves, that I may have this information confused with another stove...but, I thought I read that the cat temperature gets up to around 1300 degrees, and that results in the stove top reaching around 400 degrees. If this is accurate, wouldn't that be hot enough to cook a pot of stew upon? Then again, I'm not a chef and really have no idea.

Thanks again...great information!!!

fdegree said:
Thanks for the replies...it has been very helpful!!!

Everything sounds right in-line with what I want from a wood stove, except for 2 things...one being the east coast cost, I still have to weigh that with the benefits of the stove to see if I want to invest that much.

In one of the threads on BK pricing, someone mentioned that there may be west-of-Mississippi dealers,
other than Auto-Rain, who will ship to you. Auto-Rain got their wrist slapped by BK and will not do so
any more.

I read that the cat temperature gets up to around 1300 degrees, and that results in the stove top reaching around 400 degrees. If this is accurate, wouldn't that be hot enough to cook a pot of stew upon? Then again, I'm not a chef and really have no idea.

Yes, I think those numbers are accurate. But 400 degrees is nowhere near where the metal is starting to glow red.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Temperature_when_metal_glows_red

Recall that, for an electric stovetop, the burner elements are glowing quite visibly if you have them
turned up high enough to boil water.

If all you are doing is warming up a small pot of stew it might be possible if you run the stove on high. With the T-stat set on 2.5 you should see temps on the top of the stove around 450-500 on full high 650-700. It will take some time to warm through, though and you may bake yourself out of the room before you get the stew heated.

RustyShackleford said:
Yes, I think those numbers are accurate. But 400 degrees is nowhere near where the metal is starting to glow red.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/wiki/Temperature_when_metal_glows_red

Recall that, for an electric stovetop, the burner elements are glowing quite visibly if you have them
turned up high enough to boil water.

Thanks for the link.

I completely understand the analogy you are making, and it does make sense. But, there is one thing that keeps going through my mind. There are wood stoves that advertise they have a "cooktop surface", such as the Lopi Liberty. Don't they have a normal top temperature around 400 - 500 degrees? If this is accurate, couldn't the BK cook just as well as the Liberty? Perhaps not as quickly as an electric stove, but at least as efficiently as any of the other wood stoves. Or, am I over analyzing this issue?

This brings up another related question...Does anyone put a pot of water on their stove to add humidity to the air? Does this water ever come to a boil?

learnin to burn said:
If all you are doing is warming up a small pot of stew it might be possible if you run the stove on high. With the T-stat set on 2.5 you should see temps on the top of the stove around 450-500 on full high 650-700. It will take some time to warm through, though and you may bake yourself out of the room before you get the stew heated.

Well, this makes two of you that are on the same page, so I must be way off base on this one. I guess the stoves that advertise "cooktop surface" are running at much higher top temperatures than I'm thinking.

Good question about boiling water, I'll give it a shot tonight when I start my next fire. I think most people who are adding humidity are using a special ceramic container that sits above the top of the stove.

My old Dutchwest got much hotter on top, frequently a dull red glow just above the cat.
I put a humidifier pot on top, and it got to a roiling boil with a vigorous fire. Haven't
tried it with BKP yet - want to get a trivet and not scuz up that nice paint job - but
I doubt it will boil. Still puts a lot of humidity into the air even if it doesn't boil though.

Rusty,

Do you think taking off the heat shields will make that much of a difference?

Its nice to have the option.

Thank you,Hiram

I can see the side shields but not the fans. When you want to move some heat, they are key.

learnin to burn said:
Good question about boiling water, I'll give it a shot tonight when I start my next fire. I think most people who are adding humidity are using a special ceramic container that sits above the top of the stove.

Sorry I fibbed, It looks like it will be a bit to warm the next few nights to even bother with a fire. May not be till Monday or Tuesday night for the test.

learnin to burn said:
Sorry I fibbed, It looks like it will be a bit to warm the next few nights to even bother with a fire. May not be till Monday or Tuesday night for the test.

Understood...please keep us posted...thanks!!!

Hiram Maxim said:
Do you think taking off the heat shields will make that much of a difference?

My side shields are already off (per my signature). I don't have rear shields
or fan. I doubt installing either would make the stovetop appreciably hotter,
but who knows ...

The fans take the place of the rear heat shield - The stove top won't get any hotter with or without the fans/heat shields. The fans blow over the top of the stove pushing the heat out into the room while drawing air from near the floor, circulating the air instead of letting the heat rise.

If I only need a little heat I'll leave the fans off but when the heat demand goes up the fans get turned on and really move the air.

I have to agree with Learning on this one. The fans make a pretty significant difference, even if they are set on low. I would strongly consider getting a set of the fans if you don't already have them. You might not need them now, but I think you'll come to appreciate how much more heat the stove will throw with the fans as the temps really drop.

Taking the side shields off will allow the stove to radiate considerably more heat. In fact, the folks at the factory recommended that I not go with the "Ultra" version since I didn't need the tighter clearances, plus I liked the looks of the Parlor model (it sits on legs instead of a pedestal). Not that there's anything wrong with the Ultra versions, there were just designed to address the needs of folks with tighter clearance issues, but they give up a little of radiant heat with the side shields in place. The nice thing is that the shields can easily be removed if need be.

Yes, you can boil water on the BK. I set a tea kettle on the front left corner of the stove which is in front of the cat. Stove top around 450 degrees 25 minutes later and I'm enjoying a nice cup of hot chocolate. The tea kettle had enough water in it for 3 large mugs, I'm guessing about 6 cups of water. The water may have boiled sooner but I was upstairs watching TV. I did have the fans off.

learnin to burn said:
Yes, you can boil water on the BK. I set a tea kettle on the front left corner of the stove which is in front of the cat. Stove top around 450 degrees 25 minutes later and I'm enjoying a nice cup of hot chocolate. The tea kettle had enough water in it for 3 large mugs, I'm guessing about 6 cups of water. The water may have boiled sooner but I was upstairs watching TV. I did have the fans off.

That sounds very promising for the ability to cook on this wood stove. I realize that other dishes, such as a stew, are of a different consistency, but I would think it should cook thoroughly enough on the wood stove if water will boil. Perhaps not as quickly as a regular cook stove, but the wood stove should get the job done in an emergency. That's good news for me.

Thanks for testing that...I sincerely appreciate it!!!

i boiled pasta and steamed brocolli on my blaze king the other night!

Status
Not open for further replies.