Blaze king Princess thermostat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Doc C

Minister of Fire
Jul 26, 2017
Bonner County Idaho
Is it normal to have my thermostat covered in creosote? The part that goes down inside the stove is full of creosote. I washed it off and put it back in the hole.

Do you mean the thermometer? It gets pretty burned up looking, but it shouldn’t be covered in creosote. How’s the chimney? That thermometer is past the cat, and the hottest part of the system. Sounds like your cat is not working properly, or you are burning way too low too often.

Do you mean the thermometer? It gets pretty burned up looking, but it shouldn’t be covered in creosote. How’s the chimney? That thermometer is past the cat, and the hottest part of the system. Sounds like your cat is not working properly, or you are burning way too low too often.

Crap. Yes. Thermometer. I’m a little under the weather today and I guess my brain is not working. I am not sure the difference between pretty burned up looking and creosote. It was black. Looked like burned creosote.

I am burning at 1.5 now and only about 3 medium splits at a time. And only about 30% of the time. The cat seems to be working the best I can tell. It stays in the active zone for hours even at 1.5 with no active flame so I think it’s working

Mine gets stuff on it. It’s usually a nice tan color but there is junk on it. No need to keep it scraped clean.

Mine gets stuff on it. It’s usually a nice tan color but there is junk on it. No need to keep it scraped clean.
I have a few BKs I clean that have actual creosote build up on the probe. Sticky gunky creosote. These few people are scared to let the thing breath. Typically an oversized stove for the space too. Every year I tell them to let er rip on occasion... they never do.

Reactions: Highbeam
Regular condition on my probe also. I've cleaned it a number of times. A few times I put some emory cloth to it. Seems to function the same as always.

Mine gets a little black crusty stuff on the probe. Check the calibration when you clean it and make sure it's not crazy. Using a photo off of Condar's website for reference, I figure that the start of the painted line on the BK thermostat is the room temperature point.

Blaze king Princess thermostat Blaze king Princess thermostat

Thanks folks. I cleaned it good. The calibration seems right. The house was owned by some folks that didn’t know anything about wood stoves so I’m guessing it was not burned correctly. I’ll check it again after a month or so of burning and see if it’s still clean

It’s kind of like a spark plug. The color of that probe should be tan and not black or wet looking.

Reactions: Ashful and moresnow
I have a few BKs I clean that have actual creosote build up on the probe. Sticky gunky creosote. These few people are scared to let the thing breath. Typically an oversized stove for the space too. Every year I tell them to let er rip on occasion... they never do.
You need to visit those customers over the winter, and show them how to run their stove. Stop in over the Christmas week holiday, you'll probably get free food and drink!

You need to visit those customers over the winter, and show them how to run their stove. Stop in over the Christmas week holiday, you'll probably get free food and drink!
I’ve babysat them plenty already. Believe me!

Reactions: Ashful