blaze king princess thermostat sticky

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raz112

Feb 19, 2015
Sweden
Hello

In last 2 weeks i have notice that the flames sometimes does not decrease when moving the knob. It did not happend all time so i didnt even think more about it. After the fire have started up and the active zone was in, i was moving knob back and somewhere between 1.5 - 2 and it allways burned good and extended the burning time.

I moved the knob around just to see what happends if its in full mode(3.5) and then in 1. But no reaction. I've never before (as i remember) had the knob behind 1. But now the knob moves behind the 1 and allmost the whole round. Is this normal/possible?

You can se in the picture the movement of knob .

Can it be so easy that the knob just jumped out?

Attachments

• blaze king princess thermostat sticky
    IMG_0833.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 696
    IMG_0834.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 650
Is there a set screw on this knob that keeps it from freely rotating?

Is there a set screw on this knob that keeps it from freely rotating?

I dont see any screw on the knob. Can you freely rotate knob on your blazeking(if thats what you have). Now the stove is cooling down and it "locks/click" around 1. I will look into the next fire how it reacts.

Reactions: raz112
It have worked perfectly soon 3 years. The main question was if the the knob is freely rotating for all, maybe someone who also have blaze king could check. If not, i think the knob have just jumped out. But since i hear a click at the 1 maybe everything is okey but need to look up into..

There is a set screw,you can see it in your second picture,it's a allen head. When you turn the knob look at the shaft of the thermostat to see if it's turning,if it's not turning you need to reset the knob and tighten the screw.The knob will turn back past the 1 setting until it hits a stop on the shaft.

canon

Just checked and you have right, its a screw.. Anyway i did turn the knob and the shafts was moving, front and rear and the shaft was even moving back past 1, Like on the picture 1. ?

If taking cover off the thermostat, would i need the silicon when puting it back?

Anyway i hear a click on 1 and on 3.5(picture 2) i suppose its closing(1) and oppening fully and 3.5?

canon

Just checked and you have right, its a screw.. Anyway i did turn the knob and the shafts was moving, front and rear and the shaft was even moving back past 1, Like on the picture 1. ?

If taking cover off the thermostat, would i need the silicon when puting it back?

Anyway i hear a click on 1 and on 3.5(picture 2) i suppose its closing(1) and oppening fully and 3.5?

I have a BK princess and have had the thermostat cover off. You do not need silicone to replace it, the cover is on the upstream side of the butterfly valve.

The stat knob does not spin freely. It has hard stops below and above all labeled marks.

If you spin the knob all the way to the high stop you will hear the butterfly valve hit the upper limit which is a screw in the cover, if you spin the knob to the low stop you will hear the butterfly valve slam shut against the valve seat.

If you take the cover off you will be happy to lubricate all moving things with a light oil like a gun oil.

Your problem sounds like the knob is not firmly set to the operating shaft of the thermostat.

It have worked perfectly soon 3 years. The main question was if the the knob is freely rotating for all, maybe someone who also have blaze king could check. If not, i think the knob have just jumped out. But since i hear a click at the 1 maybe everything is okey but need to look up into..

Don't touch it! Free rotation past 1 o'clock (counter clockwise) is normal. It will rotate quite a ways back actually, so I am certain it is fine. It will stop around the 8-9 o'clock position as I recall....but that is not paramount.

There is a stop on the highest setting (around 6 o'clock).

If you spin the knob all the way to the high stop you will hear the butterfly valve hit the upper limit which is a screw in the cover, if you spin the knob to the low stop you will hear the butterfly valve slam shut against the valve seat.

I can hear both .

Don't touch it! Free rotation past 1 o'clock (counter clockwise) is normal. It will rotate quite a ways back actually, so I am certain it is fine. It will stop around the 8-9 o'clock position as I recall....but that is not paramount.
There is a stop on the highest setting (around 6 o'clock).

Exactly as mine then, you can see the pictures.

Anyway, i will wait to se after one more fire before taking cover off. If the thermostat behaves then i will let it be to further.

If you are hearing the clicks at 1 and 3.5 there's probably little reason to take the thermostat cover off. Have you checked the loading door gasket?
Anyway, i will wait to se after one more fire before taking cover off. If the thermostat behaves then i will let it be to further.

If you are hearing the clicks at 1 and 3.5 there's probably little reason to take the thermostat cover off. Have you checked the loading door gasket?

I think this is way of checking loading door gasket?.. Im pulling the paper out but its firm/fixed.

Attachments

IMG_0849.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 376
    IMG_0850.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 292
It sounds to me like the butterfly under the t-stat cover is hitting the cover and sticking. Does your t-stat cover have two screws in it or three? My stove is an older stove and only has two, the newer stoves seem to have three. The third screw is used to keep the butterfly from opening too much and getting stuck under the cover.

With my stove if I have it on 3 1/2 and heat the stove up good before turning it down the butterfly will get stuck under the cover. I have to rotate the knob from 3 1/2 to 1 several times before I hear the butterfly close around 1. I've now developed the habit of always cycling the knob from high to low listening for that butterfly "click" before selecting a setting lower than max air. I could solve this by placing a third screen in the t-stat cover like the newer stoves but at this point I'm used to the occasional sticking if I leave it burning high for longer.

I think this is way of checking loading door gasket?.. Im pulling the paper out but its firm/fixed.
Yes, that is a good way to check it but I would use a dollar bill or perhaps a Krona in your case. The smaller size would make it easier to find small areas that may not be sealing well.

The effort required to remove the slip of paper is an acquired feel. I have read that you are okay if you feel "any" resistance and some folks want it so tight that the slip of paper rips. I suspect that somewhere in the middle is the right answer.

Reactions: tarzan
Yes, the gasket is working if the dollar bill (or krone) slips but requires a firm tug to do so. The test results are also going to vary depending on the seal. A flat faced gasket seal will offer less resistance typically than a knife-edge gasket seal.

Does your t-stat cover have two screws in it or three?

Its with 3 screw.

The effort required to remove the slip of paper is an acquired feel. I have read that you are okay if you feel "any" resistance and some folks want it so tight that the slip of paper rips. I suspect that somewhere in the middle is the right answer

if I pull harder, the paper would be demolished. I tested it.

fired up and its the same.

I cant hear butterfly open or close under the fire.. I've been rotating from 3-1,1-3 many times.. back past 1 but no sound. thermostat is sticky. Im suspecting that it sticks somewhere when the stove gets hot. Any other ideas?

I have to open it up tomorow before next fire. Is it just to screw on those 3 screws to remove cover thermostat? any pulling or any technick?

fired up and its the same.

I cant hear butterfly open or close under the fire.. I've been rotating from 3-1,1-3 many times.. back past 1 but no sound. thermostat is sticky. Im suspecting that it sticks somewhere when the stove gets hot. Any other ideas?

I have to open it up tomorow before next fire. Is it just to screw on those 3 screws to remove cover thermostat? any pulling or any technick?

Yes. Pull up.

Interesting, I had a similar experience the other day, just opposite. I went to do a reload ( nothing but small coals, cat was on the line between inactive and active) opened the bypass , turned the knob to 3.5 loaded and shut the door, came back about 10min later to a very inactive cat, just smoldering wood. I opened the door and threw a lit match in there, the wood ignited so I shut the door, I suddenly had few flames and weak at that. I checked thee air setting to make sure I set it all the open, reopened the door got the flames going again, shut the door, saw the fire suppressing itself, I backed the air control down to 3 and the fire took off as normal. I guess it got stuck in the lower air position? Btw wood is oak and maple- between 10 & 14% fresh split face

call my office on Monday after 8:00 a.m. and I will walk you through a few things. Please do not make any adjustments without guidance from us. I'm in New Zealand until Monday or would have you call sooner.

Thank you,
Chris
509-522-2730

Reactions: raz112 and tarzan
Chris, the OP is in Sweden.

Last edited:
Hello Chris.

I think i remember you (if it is you) before i did buy this fantastic stove we emailed.. As you know talking english, and talking on the phone (and without google translate) is not simple but hope you have patience.
So no screwing? Anything i can do? like study or what to look into,

Because

I did rotate the knob now and it clicked ( sounds more like ta-ta ) at first rotation directly . The knob was back past 1 in the maxium zone as the picture in the first post. As i did rotate it it clicked. I took it to 3.5 and back and it clicked then at 1 - 1.5, and is there now.
This was in active zone, but cooling down and burned all woods, now there is only som coals on bottom.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.