Blaze king princess flare up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Keith E

Dec 6, 2016
New Jersey
I'm beginning my second season with my BK. I came in the family room to check the stove (Which I seem to do quite often) and I've got the air control set low. Cat probe is reading about 2 o'clock on the dial. Mostly just red embers inside. But when it gets the occasional flare up when the smoke lights off it's quite a violent flare up. And it sounds like it's the bypass damper is blowing open or something. I've never heard this sound before. Is this normal?

Bump

I occasionally get these flare ups to, you found that 1 in a million spot on the t-stat setting to keep the embers glowing but make the firebox oxygen rich. This can easily be solves by either ever so slightly lowering the t-stat or raising the t-stat.

Reactions: RandyBoBandy
This will happen with my encore from time to time as well. If I'm watching the cat thermo I can catch it before the flare up happens. If I see the thermo rising above 1550* I know the box is filling with smoke and getting ready to ignite.

Hmmm last season I had the dancing flames and flare ups too. But I never heard anything I side the stove rattling. I'm just concerned about setting it low and slow and heading to bed.