Blaze King Owners Please Provide Photos of Fire at different stages

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwikrp

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Oct 21, 2008
SE Mass
I was reading the manual and saw the video on you tube. To me there may be a conflict. The manual says that when the fire has been established and you turn down the thermostat you may not see any flames just smoldering wood. But the video shows a roaring fire each time. Even flames when they reload. Any experiences you can share? Any photos ?

When I turn mine down after a good fire is going, & close the bypass.
in a few minutes, the fire is out but the cat is glowing.
Sometimes I see some secondary flames dancing around on & off.
I see the edges of the wood spark, or pulsate real bright but hardly any flames.
As the stove cools down, I see the coals under the wood glow as the thermostat lets in some more air. (sometimes flame pulses)

You're right, smoldering wood is what you get, but would make a poor photo/video.

This is a typical cycle when it is cold out. Initial high burn, settle in medium high burn and then just about reload time. I imagine the door was opened for the rake/pull forward turn the tstat all the way up when the reload pic was taken. At medium burn, you get a glowing pile. At low burn the fire pretty much looks like it is out. However, the cat is still active.

Attachments

• Blaze King Owners Please Provide Photos of Fire at different stages
    high burn.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 331
    med high burn.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 322
    reload time.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 324
fresh load

Attachments

typical load.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 316
SolarAndWood said:
fresh load

I've seen completed jigsaw puzzles with more space between pieces. Nice packing job.

We were on our way out for 4 days over New Years. I was trying to keep the pipes from freezing. Someday we'll have backup heat for such occasions.

SolarAndWood said:
We were on our way out for 4 days over New Years. I was trying to keep the pipes from freezing. Someday we'll have backup heat for such occasions.

Were you successful?

No problems. 110 lbs of locust in the stove and a slow drip in all the faucets.

Wouldn't a few giant chunks in there have helped the long burn? I know that my stove will burn up a load of popsicle sticks really fast.

That is 2 ft wide by 15" high, so not quite popsicle sticks. Now that I am 2 yrs ahead, i have been splitting in the 6x6 to 8x8 range.

Idling at #1 after a turn down 1hr into a fresh burn. After 4-5 hrs the glow in the box will calm down a bit more. 10 year old fire killed poplar is in its belly. The pictures should be in reverse by the way.

Attachments

#1 setting.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 223
    BK Cat secondaries.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 227
Status
Not open for further replies.