Blaze King Makeup Air

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kwehme09

Sep 7, 2011
Northern N.H.
I've been running a Blaze King Sirrocco 20 for the last 4 years. My old Chalet never had much of a makeup air problem as the house was old and loose. Well, after 5 years of tightening up the house, adding bathroom and kitchen exhaust, replacing windows, etc., I think it may finally be time. Wood is our primary heat source. The house has no other air exchange than what has been mentioned.

Does BK still produce a makeup air kit? Will it work with the Sirrocco? Any experience with the kit in terms of where to get it, and how to install it? I can find very little online. Thank you for any insight.

P.S. I wish I took everyone's advice on this forum and got a 30.

Yes you can add a F/A kit to the 20. Your dealer can order one for you. The first step is to determine whether you will exit through the floor or wall. If you have the SC20 with a pedestal, you can consider either option. If you have the leg version, the 3" F/A line will be visible if you run it through the flow. The kit we sell is for a floor install, but plenty of folks here can help you with the conversion to a wall exit.

Just keep the entire F/A line below the bottom of the firebox. ((Don't create a snorkel) These images are a cross section on a Princess, but it's the same basic kit and install.

Attachments

• Blaze King Makeup Air
    freshaircomplete.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 475
  • Blaze King Makeup Air
    completerearview.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 792
  • Blaze King Makeup Air
    kitparts.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 320
Yes you can add a F/A kit to the 20. Your dealer can order one for you. The first step is to determine whether you will exit through the floor or wall. If you have the SC20 with a pedestal, you can consider either option. If you have the leg version, the 3" F/A line will be visible if you run it through the flow. The kit we sell is for a floor install, but plenty of folks here can help you with the conversion to a wall exit.

Just keep the entire F/A line below the bottom of the firebox. ((Don't create a snorkel) These images are a cross section on a Princess, but it's the same basic kit and install.

Very nice, Thank you. Pedestal base, and will be doing a wall exit (slab floor). I'll be ordering the kit soon.

Last edited:
You may save some $$$ buy just ordering the adapter plate. Part number #S.FA.PLATE3

The kit has more than you need for a wall exit. Contact Highbeam. I think he did wall exit. He had pictures posted of his hearth renovation a year or two ago.

You may save some $$$ buy just ordering the adapter plate. Part number #S.FA.PLATE3

The kit has more than you need for a wall exit. Contact Highbeam. I think he did wall exit. He had pictures posted of his hearth renovation a year or two ago.

My OAK system goes vertical down into the raised hearth where it then drops through the subfloor into the ventilated crawlspace. You can use "dryer vent" type semi rigid metal products and/or rogod HVAC type ductwork from home depot to get this done. The only BK part you will need is the plate that screws on to the stove to give you a 3 or 4 inch snout to start with.

I'm a fan of outside combustion air whenever it is possible. There is no downside. It may not solve all of your problems and make your dog like you but it won't hurt anything.

Reactions: electrathon
There is no downside. It may not solve all of your problems and make your dog like you but it won't hurt anything.

Will it make my firebox go from a 20 to a 30?

Reactions: Highbeam

Is that the part number for the 3"? Is there one for a 4"?

Is that the part number for the 3"? Is there one for a 4"?
Yes. Our experience is unless the run is more than 12', the 3" works.

Do you have the part number for the 4"?

Do you have the part number for the 4"?
yes...change the 3 above to a 4. I can't believe our systems made ti that easy!

Using 4" will make it easier to acquire ductwork, and terminations because dryer vents and HVAC are commonly 4". It does look a little bigger than 3" though where it is exposed at the stove connection. I like the look.

I figured it was just going to be the 4 on the end vs the 3, but Google couldn't find any mention of it online. I'll have to order it through my semi-local dealer.

is there an outside air adapter or kit for the Princess Insert model?
No sir. We do not have provisions for F/A on the PI29, AF25, SC25 or Bx24. All these models feature at thermostat which is located in the front of the unit, making a connection extremely difficult and also unsightly.

I am still on a fence in terms of OAK. I spent thousands of hard earned $$ on insulation and now I am to cut a 3” hole in the house......and let cold air in while the stove is cold.

I am still on a fence in terms of OAK. I spent thousands of hard earned $$ on insulation and now I am to cut a 3” hole in the house......and let cold air in while the stove is cold.

That air then just goes up the chimney. The real shame is not providing combustion air from outside and instead sucking conditioned warm air out of the living space and sending that up the chimney. This then sucks cold, dirty, dry air in through every crack in your home.

The oak is actually an improvement for energy efficiency.

That air then just goes up the chimney. The real shame is not providing combustion air from outside and instead sucking conditioned warm air out of the living space and sending that up the chimney. This then sucks cold, dirty, dry air in through every crack in your home.

The oak is actually an improvement for energy efficiency.
Just trying to get my head around punching that 3” hole

Just trying to get my head around punching that 3” hole

It will probably be 4” when you find the dryer duct outlet you like. That hole you punch will be filled with a pipe. Clogged. Sealed from letting outside air into your home. How is it any different from the huge 8” hole you cut in the wall or ceiling for the chimney pipe?

It will probably be 4” when you find the dryer duct outlet you like. That hole you punch will be filled with a pipe. Clogged. Sealed from letting outside air into your home. How is it any different from the huge 8” hole you cut in the wall or ceiling for the chimney pipe?
I know, I know.
i get the logical part of it. Never got around to do it last summer. I have everything spec’d out, just need to order that flange from one of the BK retailers.

Reactions: Highbeam