Blaze king high burn problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bartman23

Jan 26, 2019
Manitoba canada
Long time reader here first time posting hope you can help me out.
This is my second season with my blaze king sirroco 30.1 and it's worked great till a few weeks ago. I reload the stove onto hotcoals let it roar with bypass open than when I close the bypass the flames really die down sometimes just get the secondary explosion of flames than the black box which is familiar at a lower setting. Checked the chimney seems alright ,vacuumed the face of the cat and back behind it which seemed to help a little bit but still not great. I doubt its the cat cause it still glows and burn time and emissions are good at my cruising setting. Has anyone else had this issue the only thing I can think it could possibly be is the thermostat is not opening all the way. I'm used to getting the stove top up to 700-750 on my temp gun in fairly short order now after an hour it barely creeps past 500. Temps rise once I actually turn the stat down and cat really heats up. Thanks for any help.

Thermostat would act similar with bypass open or closed.(at least on my princess).

Sounds like the cat to me, get a gasket so you can remove it for a proper cleaning.

Did you sweep the chimney and check the top/cap?

Reactions: lsucet
It may sound counterintuitive, but turning it down increases residence time (slows down flow). As the gases spend more time "inside" the combustor...it get more active...hotter.

Looking at emission profiles for cat stoves, usually cat stoves are cleaner the lower the burn rate. Due of course to increased activity.

How seasoned is your wood?

Would the combuster be bad if its still functioning properly at a lower burn rate? My burn times haven't really been affected besides the top end of things. Wood is 16-20 percent

Are you sure the cat isn't clogged? Is it a SS cat? That is what it sounds to me.
If bypass open is no problem, the chimney and cap should be okay. The only thing left here is a clogged cat.

Reactions: rdust
So this is what is looks like. Is this normal? I've only burned seasoned wood in it and a bit of newspaper on cold starts. Which has been about 5 Times since I bought the stove
Blaze king high burn problem

it looks like mine does. buy some gasket material first- then pull it, clean the ash out, re-install w new gasket.