Blaze King catalyst combustor question.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
I bought from Midwest hearth. It was $260 plus tax and shipping.

Reactions: Ashful
NOTE: OEM combustors have a heavier application of precious metal than ANY aftermarket combustors.

BKVP

OEM combustors have a heavier application of precious metal than ANY aftermarket combustors.
Does this translate to longer lifespan, barring any early death due to mechanical damage? And is it by more than the 400/260 ratio?

If you can spend 54% more and get double lifespan, that's a good deal... unless you fracture the thing in year 2 with thermal shock or handling during cleaning.

Reactions: stoveliker
Great question. We don't have user data for the lifespan of aftermarket combustors.

What is known is a heavier "loading" of both palladium and platinum are present on OEM combustors.

You may have read posts where I have pointed out that as a mfg, we can only suggest users purchase "the original combustor used in certification ".

EPA has been looking into the aftermarket selling of combustors. Many are from offshore, others are domestic manufactured. Currently, there are no requirements for resellers to validate the combustors sold.

BKVP

Chris is it gold? just wondering at the price of one almost $400 at my dealer.
Worse, palladium and or ruthenium I believe. More expensive than gold...

Reactions: Ashful and BKVP