Blaze King Ashford 25 Insert Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

fourwinds

Dec 29, 2014
Georgia
I'm interested in a Blaze King Ashford 25 insert for a home we are about to begin construction on. I don't have a local dealer and had a couple of questions that I figured some of you may know the answers to.

1. The manual says the insert can be installed in a fireplace or masonry chimney. What about new construction? How would that be accomplished?

2. Does the fan cord have to be routed out the front of the stove? It appears that the cord goes out the front of the stove and would plug in where it'd be visible from the living area. I'd prefer a clean face without a cord in the way. I wasn't sure if it could be wired up behind the fascia.

Thanks for your input.

If it’s new construction, I wouldn’t mess with an insert. I would go with a stove or even an EPA fireplace. Maybe a masonry heater, if I wanted to go all out.

I'd like a Fireplace Xtrordinair Apex 42 fireplace ideally. But, the non-combustible mantle requirement is a dealbreaker. I am going to have a combustible mantel and a TV above the mantel. It just is what it is. I'm not looking to heat exclusively with wood, but I don't want a traditional fireplace. Too inefficient and drafty for my liking.

An insert goes into a fireplace. In order to have the Ashford 25 installed you would first have to have a fireplace built. All that masonry work will be very costly and that is before the insert purchase and installation costs.

There are many other EPA ZC fireplaces on the market. And several can have a mantel above them and then a TV (though that can be hard on the neck to watch). Look at the clearance to combustible requirements for fireplaces to see if there is a good fit with some model.
For example, the PE FP30 can have a combustible mantel of up to 12" in depth at 55" above the hearth.
Blaze King Ashford 25 Insert Questions
The big Quadrafire 7100 can have a mantel at 60". Depending on the depth, the RSF Focus 320 can have a combustible mantel between 20 & 26" above the firebox opening.

Last edited:
I'd like a Fireplace Xtrordinair Apex 42 fireplace ideally. But, the non-combustible mantle requirement is a dealbreaker. I am going to have a combustible mantel and a TV above the mantel. It just is what it is. I'm not looking to heat exclusively with wood, but I don't want a traditional fireplace. Too inefficient and drafty for my liking.
The Elite 36 and 44 manuals say you can use a combustible mantel, as long as it’s at least 23 inches above the faceplate.