Blanket insulation on block off plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

Kalembang

Sep 24, 2024
Johnstown PA
Hello, I am installing a block of plate. I have left over liner blanket insulation from the install. I am considering stacking a few pieces on top of my block off plate. Would this be acceptable to avoid purchasing an excessive amount of roxul? I really wish it was sold in smaller quantities. Thanks

Yes, that would be ok. It's ceramic wood.

Yes, that would be ok. It's ceramic wood.

Here we just witnessed the rare typo in begreen's posts...

wool, that is, not wood.

You can also buy smaller quantities of ceramic insulation blankets on Amazon if you need more.
I see 1ft x 2 ft x 1" thick for $12.99 there.

This stuff is thin. I should have enough to stack about 5 or 6 pieces on top of each by other. Thoughts on that companied to just purchasing roxul?

Also to seal the block off plate I have read to just use regular silicon or should I go for the 500 degree stuff.?

Thank you, I just want to get it right b the first time.

The block-off plate will do most of the heat containment. A few layers of the insulation will suffice. Regular silicone is fine for sealing the periphery of the block-off plate.