BK sirocco 30 heat shield?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bhylton

Jan 22, 2020
NW MT
Hey Folks
Just had a new BK sirocco 30 installed a couple weeks ago in a new construction home. I lit the first fire just to cure off the paint while the house is still empty.
anyways, the stove is installed to the min clearance in the back... 6 inches i believe. during the burn, i got the cat active, closed the bypass and the cat probe came up to about 3/4 from max " no temp numbers on the probe, just the "active zone"". After maybe 25 min i felt the sheet rock behind the stove and it was hot. I grabbed a Mac tools infrared heat gun and it read 192 degrees in a softball sized area. 170-180 was common in a large area behind the stove. what would be your recommendation for a heat shield? would adding a fan kit serve the same purpose?

thanks for any info! looking forward to a long cold Montana winter.

You will need something that is on 1" spacers, since your installed to the maximum minimum to the wall the shield hurt anything, you can be creative with a piece of cement board that is stood off the wall 1" with a 1" air gap both top / bottom & side, tiled to fit your décor, or you can get a piece sheet metal and do the same thing, sheet metal you can paint (flat black to match the stove pipe) or a piece of copper.
You can pretty much use anything non - combusible, it just has to be put on 1" spacers and allow air flow between the shield and wall, mainly bottom & top.

That's too hot. Where was the 6" clearance measured to? The farthest back point of the stove?

Check the diagram. To get that 6” clearance you need to have double wall for sure but check to see if fans or heat shield are also required.

My princess is 6” from the Sheetrock wall and it stays cool even with a ripping hot stove. I have double wall pipe and the fan kit which acts as a heat shield.

My princess is 6” from the Sheetrock wall and it stays cool even with a ripping hot stove. I have double wall pipe and the fan kit which acts as a heat shield.
This is at the back i assume you mean. My Princess at the back (fans installed), sheet rock is cool to touch. On one side (shields installed) the sheet rock is quite warm at around stovetop level (double wall pipe).
190*F is a bit too warm for me! With my VC i get 170 at the back wall, but i have 1” gap so no worries

so the stove has a bump out the runs vertically down the center, back of the stove that hold the thermostat. that bump out is 6 inches from the wall. the bump out is the furthest protruding part on the back of the stove. We have 16ft of double wall running up to the ceiling.
as near as i can tell from the manual, it is correctly installed to specs, and was installed by a certified installer who came very highly regarded.

I certainly could put up shield with an air pocket behind it.. that should not be a big problem. If adding a fan kit would serve the same purpose, you all recommend we go that route?

I was more concerned that maybe something was wrong with the stove, like a faulty piece of fire brick or something.

thanks for the responses

BK sirocco 30 heat shield?

Keep an eye and instrument on the wall temp. It may be a young active cat, but I think you will need the stove heat shield or blower option.

so the stove has a bump out the runs vertically down the center, back of the stove that hold the thermostat. that bump out is 6 inches from the wall. the bump out is the furthest protruding part on the back of the stove. We have 16ft of double wall running up to the ceiling.
as near as i can tell from the manual, it is correctly installed to specs, and was installed by a certified installer who came very highly regarded.

I certainly could put up shield with an air pocket behind it.. that should not be a big problem. If adding a fan kit would serve the same purpose, you all recommend we go that route?

I was more concerned that maybe something was wrong with the stove, like a faulty piece of fire brick or something.

thanks for the responses

View attachment 264414
That’s interesting. I looked at your manual and like my KE40, it’s 6 inches.

I have a corner install but when my stove is hot, everything around it is cool to the touch. 6 inches from the corners of my stove to the wall

Is the Mac tool calibrated? How long can you hold your hand on the wall behind the stove when hot?

I read the manual and brochure and this stove only requires 6" from the back to the combustible surface of drywall, OSB, whatever. No heat shield or fan kit is required to get this 6" clearance in a non mobile home installation.

The back of a BK has a lot of cold stuff. The thermostat hump and riser on the rear is 2-3 spaced steel walls away from the firebox. The large intake air preheat chamber runs across the rear of the stove. There are firebricks. The double wall flue pipe shouldn't get too hot either.

Adding the fan kit would provide additional heat shielding on the rear plus you get the cool fans and in that room with those ceilings you might want the fans!

Really though, it's safe as installed per your description.

Is the Mac tool calibrated? How long can you hold your hand on the wall behind the stove when hot?

--I have not idea if its calibrated haha. It was certainly uncomfotably warm to hold your hand there for any amount of time. pretty sure the stove pipe was cooler than the wall.

I read the manual and brochure and this stove only requires 6" from the back to the combustible surface of drywall, OSB, whatever. No heat shield or fan kit is required to get this 6" clearance in a non mobile home installation.

The back of a BK has a lot of cold stuff. The thermostat hump and riser on the rear is 2-3 spaced steel walls away from the firebox. The large intake air preheat chamber runs across the rear of the stove. There are firebricks. The double wall flue pipe shouldn't get too hot either.
--the hot spot was about halfway between the thermostat hump and the thermostat knob side of the stove and in the upper 1/3... if that makes sense? wonder if thats the preheat chamber?

second question for everyone... I'm a nerd when it comes to numbers... i like being precise with handloaded ammunition, arrow build etc... whats a good stove top thermometer with actual numbers i can read to get a better understanding of how this thing is performing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Stove top temperature doesn't mean much on these stoves since the heat source is a 1000-1500 degree cat in the middle. I had one there, it always read the same thing so I took it off. Now, if you want to nerd out a bit, a worthwhile upgrade is to replace the cat thermometer that just says active or inactive with a numbered version from Condar. Condar makes the OEM gauge and they also make an aftermarket replacement with numbers that is loads of fun. Even more important than that upgrade is to add a flue probe meter to your chimney. That thing is lots of fun. Condar makes a great probe meter too. It is very helpful for knowing when to engage the cat and when you're overfiring the chimney.

Stove top temperature doesn't mean much on these stoves since the heat source is a 1000-1500 degree cat in the middle. I had one there, it always read the same thing so I took it off. Now, if you want to nerd out a bit, a worthwhile upgrade is to replace the cat thermometer that just says active or inactive with a numbered version from Condar. Condar makes the OEM gauge and they also make an aftermarket replacement with numbers that is loads of fun. Even more important than that upgrade is to add a flue probe meter to your chimney. That thing is lots of fun. Condar makes a great probe meter too. It is very helpful for knowing when to engage the cat and when you're overfiring the chimney.
exactly what i'm looking for.... i think it would be cool to get those readings for comparing thermostat settings vs house warmth. also Doug fir vs Larch vs Lodgepole and also the affect of different fuel moisture's " i have a moisture meter coming from amazon. tbd if its any good"

thanks a ton

Reactions: Highbeam
--I have not idea if its calibrated haha. It was certainly uncomfotably warm to hold your hand there for any amount of time. pretty sure the stove pipe was cooler than the wall.
The reason I ask is that if the wall temp was 192º it would hurt to have one's hand there for a second and would burn the hand if held there much longer.

The reason I ask is that if the wall temp was 192º it would hurt to have one's hand there for a second and would burn the hand if held there much longer.

understood. not sure if its calibrated. but the hand-o-meter confirms that its at least close haha

If it provides greater peace of mind, a sheet metal shield on 1" spacers that has a 1" gap a the bottom could be installed. It can be painted white in advance.

PS: I found myself wondering if there was a product that would work for this. Searched on porcelain-coated white steel sheet and found that whiteboards are made like this.

Last edited:
Good to know thank you.
I just wanted to confirm with you guys that have one... the Fan kit would in fact effectivly serve the purpose of a rear heat shield? So if I install a fan kit, I won't have to additionally put up a stand alone hear shield?

Good to know thank you.
I just wanted to confirm with you guys that have one... the Fan kit would in fact effectivly serve the purpose of a rear heat shield? So if I install a fan kit, I won't have to additionally put up a stand alone hear shield?

The fan kit takes care of rear clearance issues per the manual. It was a must for my install.

I don’t use it often, but it’s nice to have. For your setup I feel like it would save you a lot of work...

My Chinook 30 (same firebox as your sirocco) is 7" from the sheetrock. I have the heat shields installed (that was a requirement because it sits in sort of an alcove), and the sheetrock does get warm, but not hot. I didn't measure, but certainly not too hot to touch. I do not have the fan kit.

HTH.

Good to know thank you.

You don’t “have” to do anything. Your install meets the requirements. Anything you do is for warm fuzzy feelings. Nothing wrong with that but there is no technical hurdle you’re wishing to beat so it’s all squishy stuff.

In your manual, for mobile homes, either the fan kit or the heat shield will accomplish compliance.

Fan kit is a nice upgrade. They make a difference when used.