BK sirocco 20 install flue question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Riverbilly

Dec 2, 2020
Sheridan, IL
Hello all, we are getting ready to do our install on the stove and had a couple questions on the stove pipe and flue height. We are using double wall and connecting to class A chimney. First question; I have the option of going 15' 6" of flue height or 17'6". The sirocco requires 15'. What is the better option? Next question is we are installing a double 45 degree offset stove pipe to achieve center of joist location, is a 45 to 45 ok? And if so, would be ok to do that coming right off of the stove? Thanks for any and all input....

I have 6' dbl stove pipe and 20' class A on top and it works great. Warm the flue with a torch if its drafting backwards. Then load the stove, start it up, once up to temp turn it to low and use the blower if more heat needed. I rarely use more then 3 or 4 splits at a time and it warms the basement and the main floor for 6-8 hours at a time. Never really loaded it full to see how long it would go.

Reactions: Riverbilly
Hello all, we are getting ready to do our install on the stove and had a couple questions on the stove pipe and flue height. We are using double wall and connecting to class A chimney. First question; I have the option of going 15' 6" of flue height or 17'6". The sirocco requires 15'. What is the better option? Next question is we are installing a double 45 degree offset stove pipe to achieve center of joist location, is a 45 to 45 ok? And if so, would be ok to do that coming right off of the stove? Thanks for any and all input....
17'6" is better, especially with an offset. The 45 to 45 offset is ok.

Use the additional length. I run the same stove (in my av pic) on 15'straight up and out with no offsets. I really cant say how using the 45's coming off the stove top will work. Like other BK models your connector pipe is supposed to have 2 feet straight up off the collar initially before any change in direction.
Maybe we can get a opinion from our resident BK rep. @BKVP if you have a moment to comment.

What direction would the stove move by hooking it up to straight connector pipe? If it means setting the stove farther away from the wall than the minimum required I'd definitely eliminate the 45's.

The thing is coming off with (2) 45s directly off the stove collar is possibly going to hinder draft since there is turbulence right at the collar, a side effect will be smokey reloads, the other issue which I find more of a problem is cleaning, after you sweep the chimney you will need to raise the dvl black pipe up off the collar and vacuum behind the cat chamber since debris / ash will collect there, if you go straight up with a piece of telescoping pipe then transition to the 45's near the ceiling it will offer better maintenance ergonomics.

Use the additional length. I run the same stove (in my av pic) on 15'straight up and out with no offsets. I really cant say how using the 45's coming off the stove top will work. Like other BK models your connector pipe is supposed to have 2 feet straight up off the collar initially before any change in direction.
Maybe we can get a opinion from our resident BK rep. @BKVP if you have a moment to comment.

What direction would the stove move by hooking it up to straight connector pipe? If it means setting the stove farther away from the wall than the minimum required I'd definitely eliminate the 45's.
I would have to move the stove out approx 3" which is what am trying to avoid but is not entirely out of the question. What kennyp2339 said about putting the offset near the ceiling would be my other route if I decided on not moving the stove out.

Reactions: moresnow
I would have to move the stove out approx 3" which is what am trying to avoid but is not entirely out of the question. What kennyp2339 said about putting the offset near the ceiling would be my other route if I decided on not moving the stove out.
I'd rather not have the offset for 3 inches. My thoughts.

Reactions: Highbeam
My thoughts are i can frame and stone dummy 1/3 height wall behind the stove and still have the tight appearance being my option to run a straight flue...
Place a cardboard square the size of the stove footprint down at both options and have a look. Might be worth the effort to get a opinion.

before you get crazy with a tight fit a few things to keep in mind, dvl pipe needs 6" clearance to combustibles, access to the t-stat and stove blower upgrade if you already dont have a blower on it.

My thoughts are i can frame and stone dummy 1/3 height wall behind the stove and still have the tight appearance being my option to run a straight flue...
Two DVL elbows together will make a 5" offset.

What is meant by 'stone dummy'?

Oh forgot I also have 2 - 45's right off the top of the stove. Never caused me a issue but again I have a really tall setup.

Oh forgot I also have 2 - 45's right off the top of the stove. Never caused me a issue but again I have a really tall setup.
What is your overall length from collar to cap? For trivial knowledge:cool: