BK Princess Insert or Pacific Energy Insert ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete97

Hearth Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
Pittsburgh Pa
Which insert should I go with? The Pacific Energy "Pacific Insert" or the BK Princess Insert ??? Can't decide. No one around here in Pittsburgh Pa has the BK so I can't see it before buying it. Thanks Pete

What did you find when you searched these forums and reading the 50+ reviews on BK and PE stoves. Also, another search that will show dozens of threads will be the difference between cat and non cat stoves. Or you will get a lot of one word responses with no explainations.

BK Princess

Those are two completely different inserts. Do you like cat converters? I do. If you want a cat insert then your decision is made. The pacific insert is another well made product but isn't a cat stove.

I would totally buy the BK.

PE.... Straight in fuel load, and a way cleaner glass, nice fire, even on low, and it will give you an overnite burn.

PE burners will tell you to buy a PE. BK burners will tell you to buy a BK. It's human nature.

I bet most who don't own either will tell you to buy a BK due to the longer burn times and the thermostat.

If burn times is your thing the Blaze King may be the way to go. I like my non-cat stove because it's pretty forgiving with controls and was easy for my wife to learn but if I ever bought a free-standing stove or insert again I'd seriously consider a Blaze King as one of my options.

Is it going in a masonry fireplace?

It is going in a masonry fireplace. I have never had a cat stove and the old stove I have now will burn anything. I would like to heat a majority of the 1st floor and 2nd floor with this stove. The 1st floor will be easy and the 2nd floor not too bad. I don't want to buy one stove and then wish I bought the other. I do not know anything about cat stoves. Will one do a better job over the other with heating? Pete

Both will heat equally well but the cat stove will offer better turn-down ratios allowing better burn times at nighttime. Cat stoves can sometimes offer slightly better efficiencies, but the differences under real world conditions efficiency wise are negligible.

Take your time and use the search feature for both stoves and you will find a ton of info to help make up your mind, then you can go ahead and buy the Blaze King.

pete97 said:
I do not know anything about cat stoves.

I've had two and the BK is night and day easier to operate than the first one. The combination of the big firebox and the fisher price simplicity of the thermostat make it very easy to operate and produce burn times that are tolerant of difficult schedules. Both stoves need dry wood to operate to their potential and you will find strong followings of both PE and BK. I doubt you would regret either.

Thanks for the info so far. I will be buying one of them shortly. The Blaze King is a lot more expensive here on the east coast than the PE though ......

Both good northwest stoves. Buy the one that your wife likes the best.

Like and have a Pacific Insert, keeps the whole house warm from the basement and I always have plenty of coals to restart in the morning. I wanted to look at some other brands like blaze king when I was looking but the selection was slim in Pittsburgh.

-Nick

That is the same problem I have. If I could see the Blaze King it would make the decision easier. Where did you buy your PE Cadillac Nick ??? The PE Insert seems to be a little bigger and less money than the BK.

Fergusons Free Energy in Mars, he did the instalation also. Did a great job was fast and everything was very neat. I was up at a place in Monaca called buck stove the also have quite a few stoves on display. I ended up choosing the PE because there is very few parts that will ever need replaced, has an excellent reputation which I think is well deserved after this winter.

-Nick

I hear ya. I narrowed it down to the PE and the BK. I am stopping at the place in Mars tomorrow.

Pe takes longer wood, too....

summit said:
Pe takes longer wood, too....

PE- 20" logs
BK- 19" logs

OK, OK, you're right. I almost didn't even look at the BK because their own brochure says 16", and I didn't want to re-cut my 17-19" firewood. Turns out, 16" is for NS burning, but if you burn EW you can fit 19" logs.

I ordered a BK Princess Insert today !!!!!

Thanks Lanning. I will, this type of stove is all new to me !!!! Do i need to put a stainless steel liner in my chimney for it to operate properly????

pete97 said:
Thanks Lanning. I will, this type of stove is all new to me !!!! Do i need to put a stainless steel liner in my chimney for it to operate properly????

Yes, it will work better with one.

The BK Princess Insert will be at the store in a few days !!!! It will take me a week or so t go get it. We are moving into a new house and don't want to move it more than once !!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.