BK Insert - uneven wood burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AaronMColeman

Aug 22, 2018
Wyoming
I've been using wood stoves for a while, but I'm new to the cat system and the BK insert in my new house.

When I burn low and slow the wood burns from front middle back, then starts to burn the wood on the outside. Is that normal? Any thoughts? Thanks!

For reference, I've changed the door gasket, the cat combuster, and load the box full with the wood running back to front (instead of side to side), just because I have no idea what the previous owner did to the stove.

My Princess Insert burns front to back no matter how you load it.

In general, wherever the intake air hits the fuel is where the fuel goes away first. Varies with design.

My Princess Insert burns front to back no matter how you load it.

In general, wherever the intake air hits the fuel is where the fuel goes away first. Varies with design.

Got it, I'm new to this sort of stove.

My old one just burned everything really fast...cooked us out most nights :)

My Ashford 30’s burn just the same as yours, on a low burn. Starts at middle front, and blows out the middle over the first 12 hours. If you look at that point, there’s just wood stacked up both side walls. That vaporizes over the following 12 hours.

As the burn rate is increased, the effect is a little less dramatic, but still mostly the same.

I’m loading north/south.

My Ashford 30’s burn just the same as yours, on a low burn. Starts at middle front, and blows out the middle over the first 12 hours. If you look at that point, there’s just wood stacked up both side walls. That vaporizes over the following 12 hours.

As the burn rate is increased, the effect is a little less dramatic, but still mostly the same.

I’m loading north/south.

Mine is exactly the same with softwood.

Another good indicator is that the glass gets dirty in a symmetrical pattern growing from the bottom corners. Then it partially burns off so you get the “dragon eyes”.

Reactions: Ashful
Mine is exactly the same with softwood.

Another good indicator is that the glass gets dirty in a symmetrical pattern growing from the bottom corners. Then it partially burns off so you get the “dragon eyes”.

Yeah I get a weird parabolic shape on the glass from the bottom corners up. Sounds like all is normal.

Reactions: Highbeam
both of my Sirocco's burn in the same way. I always have coals/wood left on the sides of the stoves at the end
Do you mean there’s wood left on the sides after the fire has gone completely out? In my stoves, the wood on the sides burns last, but it does burn completely. Nothing but ash, when it’s all done.

If your stove is going out when there is still wood left on the sides, we should try to figure out why.

Do you mean there’s wood left on the sides after the fire has gone completely out? In my stoves, the wood on the sides burns last, but it does burn completely. Nothing but ash, when it’s all done.

If your stove is going out when there is still wood left on the sides, we should try to figure out why.
It not going out. the wood on the sides is the last part to burn

Science in one hand, bourbon in the other, they girded themselves for another stove mystery.